Will not stop running

DIDDELYDO
  • 1989 JEEP WRANGLER
Altenator was changed and it runs good but will not turn off
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 12:31 AM

IS THIS THE CORRECT ALTERNATOR FOR YOUR RIG?

I would've checked Autozone and Advance Auto and linked you to them---but you did not supply enough Engine Info for me to to do that.

Other than maybe having a defective alternator--did you hook it back up as it was taken off?

I know little about your rig, but I saw you had been waiting a while....So I figgered I'd take a stab at it. Maybe to get you going sooner.....Maybe not.

I have a Chilton Manual which includes Early Wranglers--the diagrams are drawn much different than on CJs (what I am used to)

The only thing I really did see--that sparked an interest was: A WIRE, FROM THE ALTERNATOR, CONNECTS TO THE SOLENOID

IF YOUR SOLENOID IS WIRED WRONG OR THE WIRE TO THE ALTERNATOR IS HOOKED TO IT WRONG.

I COULD MAYBE SEE "I" TERMINAL MOMENTARILY "EXCITING YOUR FIELDS"---IF HOOKED UP WRONG, I COULD SEE THE FIELDS CONSTANTLY KEEPING THE "I" TERMINAL "HOT"---"I TERMINAL MOMENTARILY FEEDS THE COIL "FULL 12 VOLTS" ONLY WHILE STARTING THEN REVERTS BACK TO REDUCED VOLTAGE FROM THE KEY CIRCUIT (ON A CJ THIS IS A RESISTANCE WIRE)

I CAN ONLY SEND YOU A OLD STYLE CJ SOLENOID PIC WITH EXPLANATIONS OF HOW IT WORKS---YOURS PROBABLY WORKS THE SAME BUT IS MADE DIFFERENT

THIS MAY GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF HOW YOURS MAY BE MESSED UP---ON A CJ ALL CABLES AND WIRES MUST BE HOOKED UP AS IN MY PIC---OTHERWISE THINGS WILL NOT WORK RIGHT!

In this link you will find the INFO and PICS---Disregard the "STARTING PART".....You might test your Solenoid terminals to see if they work right without the alternator on it---Maybe somehow your Solenoid went bad, causing this situation----An auto parts store may be able to "LABEL" your terminals--so that my explanations work for your type also.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1992-ford-ranger-wont-start

Let me know what you find, just so I can store it in my head!

Your Turn

The Medic

Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 4:14 PM