1989 Jeep Cherokee intermittent electrical problem causing

STEVE ORCHARD
  • 1989 JEEP CHEROKEE
I am the original owner of this high mileage vehicle and the ignition wire melted at the starter relay, replaced section of wire inserted in line fuse to protect wire and replaced starter relay. Fuse would blow intermittently, checked ignition wire to ignition switch and replaced ignition switch. It worked fine for a day and then started blowing the in line fuse again, used 20 and 30 amp fuses wire would probably melt without the fuse. Do you have any ideas what else I should look at.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 11:30 AM

Hi, thanks for the donation. Your talking about fusible links and not fuses? I looked at wiring info for starter relay, There are several fusible links, only one, has anything to do with starter relay, fusible link F--green. The other links, just grab battery voltage at that point, for other circuits. The battery feed to the switch/load side of relay, doesn't show any protection. The feed to coil side of relay, does have protection, that circuit is to energize the relay. Was it the green wire, at the starter relay, that melted?
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 12:06 PM
STEVE ORCHARD
Yes it is the green wire at the starter relay about six inches long and then it has a factory splice to the red ignition wire, the splice maybe a fuseable link I am not sure. When the green wire melted the first time I installed a in line fuse holder to protect that wire until I resolve the problem.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 12:56 PM
One database showed the info below, I'm trying to be sure which green wire, because there are two?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_jeep_starter_relay_1.jpg

Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 1:19 PM
STEVE ORCHARD
It is the green wire that goes from the starter relay through the fuseible link and transitions to the red wire that goes to the ignition switch.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 1:31 PM
My thinking is, it may not have anything to do with the starter circuit, which was my first thought. It could be anything that gets voltage from the ignition switch. How long since a tune-up? Are there any trouble codes?
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 1:43 PM
STEVE ORCHARD
Vehicle has been serviced on a regular basis since it was new, do you think it could be a battery issue, and if it could be why would that be the only wire affected when there are multiple connections on the same starter relay terminal. I do not have a fault code reader for a jeep.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 1:55 PM
Your fuel injected, correct? You should be able to get some codes by cycling the ignition switch. You turn the key till the dash lites come on, no further. Cycle key on--off, on--off, on--off, on, then the check engine lite starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 2:38 PM
JEEPCHIK
My jeep is doing the same thing except its the orange wire(fuel pump) I replaced the starter relay also and still nothing.I drove it to work, got it in to leave and it wouldnt start. It cranks like its going to start but its like its not getting gas. Also I dont hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key. It is a 2 week old fuel pump. Im stumped. And my jeeps 25 miles away in a deserted parking lot. Please help! Lol
Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 12:09 AM
JEEPCHIK
My jeep is doing the same except its melting the orange wire. Which I believe is for the fuel pump.I also replaced the starter relay. Still not starting, it turns over like it is going to start but it seems like its not getting fuel.I cant hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key either.I just bought this pump 2 weeks ago, do you think there is something wrong with it?
I dont know what else to do, im stumped, and my jeep is far away in a deserted lot.I drove it to work and got in it to leave, wouldnt start. Its been 2 days now.
Please help! Lol
Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 12:51 AM
JEEPCHIK
Sorry for the double reply.
Sunday, January 15th, 2012 AT 4:06 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
See if the fuel pump is receiving power, jeepchik. Make sure the tank has enough fuel for the pump to pick up. Make sure it's getting spark, also.
Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 AT 9:11 PM