FUEL INJECTOR

• cyeoman79
  • 1989 Ford Mustang
  • automatic

I am having the problem with getting too much fuel in the #1 Cylinder. I was told it was prob the fuel injector so I pulled it. Now im wondering if theres a way to test it to make sure its not something else and waisted my time and money on an injector. Thanks, Chris

Saturday, April 9th, 2011 AT 12:45 PM

• CJ MEDEVAC

Dis help you any? http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-fuel-injector We're here to help...If I cannot...Someone will!--The Medic

Saturday, April 9th, 2011 AT 1:46 PM
  • Wrenchtech

You should have left it in place for the testing. Now that it's out, you might as well replace it because it would be a lot of work to put it back together for testing. It's likely a bad injector. The only other thing to test would be for a short to ground in the trigger wire for that injector.

Saturday, April 9th, 2011 AT 4:32 PM
  • cyeoman79

Well I got the new injectors in and still having problems. I am getting constant ground to the ground wire in the injector when I know it is supposed to pulsate. I ran a jumper wire from the ecm to the injector and it sill isn't pulsing. The thing that has me puzzled is that its not a thing that happens all the time. It is a intermittent thing. Most of the time it gives me the problem but sometimes it runs good. Hope someone has an answer that can help me and I HOPE its not the ecm thats bad. Thanks

Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 3:08 AM
  • Wrenchtech

Either the trigger wire from the ECM to the injector is shorted to ground or the ECM itself is defective. Running a new wire doesn't help if the old one is still connected and shorted.

Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 11:34 AM
  • cyeoman79

I didn't leave the old wire hooked up. I cut it from the ecm and the injector and ran a new one thinking the old wire might be grounded out somewhere in the harness. What is the trigger wire? Thanks.

Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 3:07 PM
  • Wrenchtech

That was it. If you're still getting solid ground signal from that wire as it leaves the computer, then you have a bad computer.

Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 3:10 PM
  • cyeoman79

Ok got ya. The bad thing is where I bought the car replaced the ecm about 9 months ago I was having the same problem then and they replaced it. The bad thing is the one they bought and put in only had a 6 mos warranty.

Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 3:30 PM
  • Wrenchtech

You could have another problem that is overloading the quad driver in the computer and burning them out like a shorted injector.

Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 3:33 PM
  • cyeoman79

Ok. Well I just replaced all the injectors. Now the thing that has me going crazy is that it dosent do this all the time. It is an intermittent thing. I always thought if a computer was bad its bad not intermittent.

Sunday, April 17th, 2011 AT 3:41 PM