AMP Signal

PINGER68
  • 1989 FORD MUSTANG
Have a 1989 LX mustang Automat. Just recently installed a new gas tank and pump and battery.
When I start the car, the AMP light is on and my voltage level is v. Low and eventually my car dies out. What can I do to resolve this issue.
Thursday, March 3rd, 2011 AT 9:24 PM

CHECK YOUR ALTERNATOR, ADVANCE AUTO AND AUTOZONE, SOME OTHERS TOO, WILL DO IT FOR FREE!---BATTERY TOO, EVEN NEW STUFF CAN BE BAD.

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 1:25 AM
YOUR VOLTAGE REGULATOR MIGHT BE AN ISSUE TOO.

Friday, March 4th, 2011 AT 1:26 AM
PINGER68
I went to Advance auto and confirm the alternator was not charging the battery. So I brought a new alternator w/ a new voltage regulator attached. Today, I connected everything and started the car. Both the Amp light on and volt meter still shows my battery almost drained. Got any other suggestions?
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 7:57 PM
Check the actual volts at POS and NEG battery terminals, then at the back of the gauge with a Voltmeter. If good, replace the gauge. If bad, check your wiring to the gauges, and back to their origination.--Keep info coming--The Medic
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 8:02 PM
PINGER68
1. How do I replace the guage(Voltmeter)
2. How do I check the wiring to the the guage(voltmeter)
Unfortuately I am not good with wiring.
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 8:11 PM
Unfortunatly I deal with Jeeps most gauges are separate units. Very EZ to replace. Yours is contained in a plastic cluster. It may have several harnesses clipping into the back of it. Could be that the "Crappy" Clip In set-up is just loose. Problem solved! Or it could be the Gauges themselves. You probably have to remove dash trim and such to get the cluster out. If at all possible leave the harnesses attached. More than likely it's a printed type circuit, and you must find the gauge on the front and sorta transfer to the rear, to find the wire(s)/ printed circuit that run it. Then turn the key on and test. Most of the time, these units will come out EZ, once you figure out how to get in it!
I do not know your situation, MY JEEPS are SACRED TO ME, I go way overboard in investigation and with resources to Repair them MYSELF, not only to save $$$, But I know that, No one else cares about MY STUFF, Like I do! Here's some resources you may not have thought of 1) YOU TUBE-Type in anything, maybe change your entry for other results---For instance "Repair 1989 Mustang Speedometer" or how to fix a XXXX, or how to repair XXXX////////Lets maybe try a Small Time Ma and Pop Self-Serve Salvage Yard---May can get the whole deal Cheap! May find several, A "Guinea Pig" messed up one you can disassemble to be sure how to get into yoursThe Fellers there, really like "Struttin' Their Stuff" when you ask them a question. I frequent several in my area. Once you are "ONE OF THE FELLERS", Prices go down drastically! I learned to take the "Ice Breaker Box" (cooler with assorted Soda's and water) with me. Still do. Present the Ice-Breaker in this way. Get you one out, take a good "swaller". AHHHHHHHHHH, I'm sorry, Ya'll want one? (Force it on 'em)--when you 1st get there. When you get back from your salvage venture. DO IT AGAIN, before you get the prices for your Booty! Whatchu Think? Heres some Pics when "Willy" and I went on one such venture.--The Medic
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 9:13 PM
Wrong 1st pic!
Monday, March 7th, 2011 AT 9:39 PM