Front left and right rear turn signals do not work

TENN1987
  • 1989 FORD F-150
I am having an issue that is puzzling. Front right and left rear work when I attempt to use those, however the front left and right rear do not. What puzzles me is that the hazard, when engaged causes all 4 to flash. I flipped the hazard and turn signal fuses and nothing changed. So what gives?
Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 11:42 PM

CADIEMAN
As each bulb has two filaments one is obviously blown in each bulb. You will need to replace them. Buy 2 1157 bulbs.
-1
Saturday, November 2nd, 2013 AT 5:31 AM
TENN1987
I tried this today and it made no difference. In fairness I believe the last owner altered the fittings as they now accept 3157. Additionally, the left/right switch does not lock in position
Saturday, November 2nd, 2013 AT 10:52 AM
CADIEMAN
3157 is just a newer style bulb. You need to buy a test light. Check to see if your getting voltage at the sockets when the lever is pushed up or down. You will also need to replace the turn signal switch. But let's get the lights working now.
Sunday, November 3rd, 2013 AT 1:14 AM
TENN1987
If the socket fails the voltage tests what shall we do? I'll be testing it soon. They did, I'm tracing the wiring, almost have the rear located, as for the front. Not so easy.
Sunday, November 3rd, 2013 AT 8:54 AM
CADIEMAN
So you're not receiving a voltage signal to the wires right behind the socket?
Monday, November 4th, 2013 AT 6:40 PM
TENN1987
I've received input for parking and hazard lights but not turn, the black wire is receiving an overload error on multi-meter.
Monday, November 4th, 2013 AT 9:36 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Good evening,

Switching fuses does nothing.

The difference is the multi function switch. It has different contacts with 4 ways than it does with 2 way or just turn signals.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

I attached the wiring diagram for you to view. I would replace the turn signal switch.

Friday, April 3rd, 2020 AT 2:47 PM
Hi,

I read through your post. As a result, I opened up the wiring schematic from Ford it look at the signal lighting circuit. Based on what I am seeing, this isn't an issue with wiring causing two opposite sides not to work. Interestingly, the hazard lights, which you indicate work, use the same wires, but they are switched from a different location. Based on that, I feel ASEmaster is correct. If you look at the first two pics below, you will see how the signal switch has four different contacts. I suspect that is where the problem is located.

Here are a couple links you may find of interest:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/turn-signals-not-working-blinker

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/turn-signal-switch-replacement

If you determine it is the switch, here are the directions from Alldata.

1989 Ford Truck F 150 2WD Pickup V8-302 5.0L
Turn Signal Switch Replace
Vehicle Sensors and Switches Sensors and Switches - Lighting and Horns Turn Signal Switch Service and Repair Procedures Turn Signal Switch Replace
TURN SIGNAL SWITCH REPLACE
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Remove horn switch, then the steering wheel.
3. Remove turn signal switch lever by unscrewing from steering column.
4. On 1987 models, remove lower steering column shroud. On 1989-91 models, remove upper and lower shrouds.
5. On all models, disconnect electrical connector from turn signal switch and remove switch attaching screws.
6. On models with tilt column and Bronco with fixed column, remove wires and terminals from steering column electrical connector, after noting color code and location of each connector. Remove plastic cover sleeve, if equipped, from wiring harness, then lift switch assembly out through opening in shift socket.
7. On models with fixed column except Bronco, remove switch assembly by lifting out of column while guiding connector plug through opening in shift socket.
8. Reverse procedure to install.

______________________

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Friday, April 3rd, 2020 AT 9:19 PM

Sponsored links