NOT FIRING

1989 Ford F-150

CardwellNHolton1019

October, 10, 2013 AT 3:46 PM

I have a 1989 Ford F150, 4.9L, 300, straight 6 cylinder pickup. When I purchased it, the engine was "skipping" a bit. I then drove it 90 miles home in that condition yesterday. Today I began to change the plugs and wires to new ones. I noticed that the plug wires of #6 and #1 were switched. While putting the new wires on, I put them in the firing order of 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4. And now it is not firing. I checked the fuel pump and it is working properly and fuel is being passed to the plugs. I replaced the distributor cap and rotary button with new ones and checked the coil to ensure it was getting power. However it is still not firing. Any ideas? HELP?

Jacobandnickolas

October, 10, 2013 AT 5:05 PM

Are you getting any spark to the plugs?

CardwellNHolton1019

October, 10, 2013 AT 5:42 PM

Yeah. Getting fire to the plugs.

October, 11, 2013 AT 6:42 PM

YOU ACTUALLY PULLED THE WIRE OFF OF A PLUG AND CHECKED?

(NOT JUST 12 VOLTS TO THE COIL)

ARE YOU USING A VOLTMETER TO CHECK THE COIL?

WHAT ELSE (ANYTHING!) MIGHT HAVE BEEN MONKEYED WITH WITH THAT MIGHT CHANGE THE PRESENT EQUATION. LIKE UNBOLTING AND PICKING UP THE DISTRIBUTOR?

WITH THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP OFF AND OUT OF THE WAY, DOES MR. ROTOR BUTTON TURN WHEN THE ENGINE IS ROTATED?

IT IS CRITICAL TO KNOW THE REAL DEAL WITH THE SPARK

HOW 'BOUT 3 TEASPOONS OF GASOLINE DOWN THE CARB OR A ONE SECOND BURST OF STARTER FLUID. DOES IT TRY? OR EVEN BUST OFF?

. NEED TO KNOW BEFORE WE START TESTING THE COIL. MOVING THE TIMING. TESTING/ REPLACING THE IGNITION MODULE

WELL OVER 7000 ANSWERS PROVIDED

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right