Ford F-150 lack of oxygen?

IDAHODREAMIN
  • 1989 FORD F-150
1989 Ford F-150 Starts and immediately dies. Acts as if not getting oxygen into the fuel, already changed out the oxygen sensor and checked the fuel pump and it ran great for a couple of days and then died again. What else could it be? I am at a loss, it seems as if it would be something simple that I am overlooking.
Tuesday, December 14th, 2010 AT 1:59 AM

When it dies, does it start right back up?
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 4:42 AM
IDAHODREAMIN
Sometimes it will start back up. Other times you have to wait awhile.
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 12:49 AM
If you have good fuel pressure and there is no check engine light, that makes it difficult. What needs to be done is this. When the engine dies and refuses to restart, you need to check if spark or fuel is missing to the engine. Something tells me it will be a bad crank sensor. Try that when it doesn't restart and let me know what you find.
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 AT 1:35 PM
IDAHODREAMIN
What exactly does the crank sensor do? Exactly how do I check to see if there is spark or fuel missing to the engine? Another question is would the ignition switch have anything to do with it. We noticed that although it has always been really really stiff and recently when we try to start it, it won't even turn over. The new oxygen sensor that was put on is completely black. I took it off and the truck finally started after many attempts and we had to hold the gas for about 2 minutes then the truck idled for about 10 minutes before it died on its own and then wouldn't restart. Also I just put new spark plugs on just in case it wasn't getting spark.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 12:39 AM
Here are how to's for checking fuel pressure and spark. Also, the crank sensor is designed to determine when you get spark.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

Let me know what you find.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 1:03 PM