THIS TRUCK IS A THROTTLE BODY INJECTED ENGIN

• Anonymous
  • 1989 Dodge Dakota

This truck is a throttle body injected engin. I've been having trouble with starting, and once started, it surges when idleing. While driving, it stumbles when accelerating. It also misses at a steady speed. This problem is intermittent. At times it runs without stumblng, and without missing. The idle always surges even when the other symptoms are not occurring. Fuel filter has been changed, new timing belt, ignition coil, plugs, rotor & cap about two months ago. Today I removed the air cleaner to check for vacume leaks, and to watch the choke work. I also checked the distributor wires, rotor etc. I found a 3 wire that came from under the distributor, and tied into a connector. When I touched them, 2 of them broke from the connector, I bypassed the connector, and installed new plugs. When I tried to start it again, I got no spark, and no fuel. Several times in the past, I've turned the key and nothing happened. It wouldn't attempt to start, or I've had the key in my hand and the engin kept running. (Not deiseling)

Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 1:11 AM

• JDL

If your fuel injected, I don't believe you have a choke. Check for applicable trouble codes. You should be able to check codes, yourself. How long since overall tune-up?

Wednesday, November 21st, 2012 AT 1:21 AM