PULLED VACUUM LINE FROM POWER ASSIST WHILE RUNNING

1989 Chevrolet Corsica

Extracheeze

September, 2, 2011 AT 3:37 PM

If the front disc brake calipers could not slide and self center due to corrosion, will fixing them cause more brake pedal travel? The power assist made a sucking sound when I pulled off the vacuum line with the engine off after running for a minute, and the brakes work, but the pedal goes down further than it did with the calipers corroded and unable to slide and self center. I cleaned the calipers and greased them so they slide back and forth freely now. The old pads were worn unevenly, as in the outside pad was the only one masking contact with the disc, the inside pads had minimal wear/no wear at all indicating the caliper could not slide and self center to allow both pads to contact the disc. They were stuck good due to the car being driven very little by the previous owner, as the low mileage indicates.

cadieman

September, 2, 2011 AT 4:49 PM

If you have drum brakes in the rear youll need to adjust them. You should have cut the brake rotors they control brake pad wear.

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear