I have 1989 cheyene 1500 truck 4

ANONYMOUS
  • 1989 CHEVROLET CHEYENNE

I have 1989 cheyene 1500 truck 4.3. Engine, 5 speed transmission, the truck has a problem going into first gear, have to shut engine off to get it to first, if I start it in neutral gear once I do that when driving it shifts ok, if I am in a spot where I have to get it to reverse, I have to shut the engine off, to get to reverse. I have also noticed that to start the engine you have to push the clutch pedal almost through the floor, or it won't start.

I am restoring this truck, there has been a lot of new parts put on this truck before I bought it, so this is the only problem I notice do far, I checked the slave cylinder under the engine hood, that was down a bit, I topped that up seems to be ok
so I am frustrated with the tranny problem, when driving the tranny dosen't seem to be slipping, just wondering if I had more travel space to to extend the clutch pedal a little further would that allow it to work going into those gears first, and reverse, so if any body can offer some advice I need help with this problem, it just seems like something must be spinning when I am trying to get it into those gears, so thank you in advance if u
can help !

Monday, October 29th, 2012 AT 12:06 AM

Have you r clutch and hydraulics checked to ss if they are working. If you dont have hydraulics then check the linkage for adjustment and release arm for being bent.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, October 29th, 2012 AT 12:16 AM