Belt replacement

MRMIKE1
  • 1989 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD
  • 200 MILES

Bolt has been tightened and the belt is still loose and squalling. Need to tighten the tension, but can't find a way to adjust it or a place to pry against. What do you pry on to adjust the tension on power steering belt. There is not a serpentine belt. There are 4 separate belts on the 89 FW Brougham RWD

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 10:57 PM

CADILLACMAN28

To tighten the power steering belt. I just set my ratchet with a 15 millimeter inside one of the three holes in the pulley on the bolt. Its at the top of the pump and towards the drivers side you have to line the hole on the pulley with the bolt. Loosen that then there a bolt on the backside of the power steering pump towards the bottom that has to be loosened also then another underneath the pulley also driver side bottom. Loosen all three then use your right hand and tighten the first bolt with the ratchet in your left hand. DO NOT PRY AGAINST THE PUMP. YOUL BEND IT UP. I just replaced mine and bent the hell out of the new one. Had to take it back. Try that hope it helps.

+1
Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 12:15 AM