WHAT DO YOU PRY ON TO ADJUST THE TENSION ON POWER STEERING BELT 1989 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM RWD 5.0L

• MrMike1
  • 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood
  • 200 miles

Bolt has been tightened and the belt is still loose and squalling. Need to tighten the tension, but can't find a way to adjust it or a place to pry against.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 10:57 PM

• rivermikerat

According to our reference, your vehicle is equipped with a serpentine belt. It the belt is loose, the tensioner needs to be replaced. See image attached.

Wednesday, January 11th, 2012 AT 11:59 PM
  • rivermikerat

Oops. Wrong button. Here's the image.

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 12:00 AM
  • MrMike1

There is not a serpentine belt. There are 4 separate belts on the 89 FW Brougham RWD

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 5:05 AM
  • rivermikerat

All of my reference material shows a serpentine belt. Pry against the block and pump with a prybar. Sharp side against the block.

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 6:29 AM
  • CADILLACMAN28

It doesnt have serpentine belt. Your right it has 4 belts. To tighten the power steering belt. I just set my ratchet with a 15 milimeter inside one of the three holes in the pulley on the bolt. Its at the top of the pump and towards the drivers side you have to line the hole on the pulley with the bolt. Loosen that then theres a bolt on the backside of the power steering pump towards the bottom that has to be loosened also then another underneath the pulley also driver side bottom. Loosen all three then use your right hand and tighten the first bolt with the ratchet in your left hand. DO NOT PRY AGAINST THE PUMP. YOULL BEND IT UP. I just replaced mine and bent the hell out of the new one. Had to take it back. Try that hope it helps.

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 12:15 AM
  • rivermikerat

It might.

Sunday, February 19th, 2012 AT 12:53 AM