My tail lights went out as well as my dash lights

CLINT BLADES
  • 1989 BUICK CENTURY
Hi I have a 1989 Buick century 6cyl. My tail lights went out as well as my dash lights. The fuses and bulbs are all fine. The head lights, brake lights, and turn signals are working fine. Any idea what my problem could be?

As far as I can see none of the wiring has been pinched. Someone suggested that maybe the headlight switch needs to be replaced. Any leads would help. Thank you for your time.
Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 9:50 PM

I'd check the connector at the headlamp switch. You could probably use a jumper on the proper terminals to get the dash and or tail lamps to come on. Did you check the applicable fuse/s for voltage?
+4
Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 9:55 PM
Here is some wiring. I agree with Ras.
+1
Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 10:06 PM
If I don't get the chance to say it-Merry Christmas, JDL
+1
Thursday, December 22nd, 2011 AT 10:26 PM
CLINT BLADES
Merry Christmas to you too! I jumped the contacts in the switch connector and got the headlights to come on but still no tail or dash lights.
+2
Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 12:49 AM
Check for additional power coming out of the switch that powers the tail and dash
+1
Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 2:39 AM
CLINT BLADES
I dont think I was getting a good connection when I was crossing the contacts. I tried it again and got the taillights to come on. It has to be the switch, which I am replacing tomorrow. Thank you so much for your time and advise! Merry Christmas!
+1
Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 4:48 AM
Happy holidays Ras, and everybody.
+2
Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 4:37 PM
Just to sure you understand. There are two voltage circuits that go to the headlamp switch. One is a fused circuit for the tail lamps--dash and such. The other voltage circuit is only for the headlamps, comes from fusible link. Both circuits are hot, correct?
+1
Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 5:50 PM
CLINT BLADES
Yes both are hot. It seems that the switch is not connecting them. I'm going into town today to get a new switch.
+1
Friday, December 23rd, 2011 AT 6:37 PM
Sounds like you got it going your way.
+1
Saturday, December 24th, 2011 AT 9:02 PM