COOLING FAN DOES NOT COME ON

1988 Ford Mustang

2CarPros-Archives

February, 7, 2011 AT 5:45 PM

1988 Ford Mustang mileage: 150,000.I'm having a problem with the electric cooling fan. The fan will not come on which causes the car to run hot. The fan motor works when straight wired to the battery. It also works if I remove the wire from the electric fan switch and ground it. During troubleshooting I have replaced the electric fan switch, the a/c-cooling fan module and air temperature sensor. This is why I replaced the fan switch. Also note that the a/c compressor does not kick in, unless I jumper it at the accumulator press switch. When this is done the compressor kicks in and the electric fan kicks in, remove the jumper and compressor kicks out (like it should) and the fan runs for a few seconds (like it should) before cutting off. Also note the code scanner does not give any trouble codes. It all checks out fine. What have I missed? I have spent numerous hours troubleshooting and looking at wiring diagrams, with very small print, I'm stumped!

2CarPros-Archives

February, 7, 2011 AT 5:56 PM

We would check for a faulty coolant sensor and trace the 12-volt power supply to the fan and relay.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement