Ford e150 fault codes

DRHAJI
  • 1988 FORD E-SERIES VAN
My 1988 Ford e150 overheats, throttle high at idle and surges while driving, intermittent check engine light. Fault codes 12, 21, 34, 44, 13. Removing vacuum from MAP brings idle down. Not sure where to go from here. Thank you.
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 9:16 PM

BILLYMAC
Well the high idle is either idle control solinoid or broken plantum gaskets or a vacum leak. Now the overheat could be thermostat radiator fan waterpump
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 1:43 PM
DRHAJI
I flushed and fixed the radiator (had a leak), changed the thermostat, new radiator cap, and checked all the vacuum lines. The engine gets hot really fast, and just before it gets into the red zone, it stays there. Seems to coincide with the throttle opening. If I take the vacuum line off the MAP sensor while idling, the throttle goes back to normal. The check engine light starts flashing intermittently.
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 7:44 PM
BILLYMAC
Coge 12idle control fault
21 ect sensor temp sensor
34 egr
44 air injection failure
13 dc motor did not move. Not sure what this code means.

But eng getting hot quickly this could be a broken prop inside the water pump. But if you have coolant loss. Then possible head gasket.
Is the fan clutch easy to turn when eng is off? Any water in the oil?
Thursday, February 24th, 2011 AT 9:50 PM
DRHAJI
No coolant loss, water pump okay. No water in the oil or from exhaust. I don't know exactly what to do to correct the error codes. Do I need to replace the ect, and or egr? What is the cause of the air injection failure?
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 2:50 AM
BILLYMAC
Well the air injection could be the air pump not working or any part of the emmission not working.

Yes the ect sensor should be replaced but won't stop the overheat.

You say the waterpump is ok? Do you have good circulation at idle?
Normally this prob is a restriction in the cooling system, the coolant is not circulating through the water jackets in the engine or the radiator. Why not remove the thermostat see how it cools with no stat at all?
Friday, February 25th, 2011 AT 1:02 PM

Related Check Engine Light Content