MY 1988 SILVERADO 1500 STALLS WHEN I SHIFT INTO GEAR.IT STARTS UP AND RUNS FINE UNTILL I SHIFT INTO GEAR.

• silverado88red
  • 1988 Chevrolet Silverado

5.0 engine with auto transmission
I replaced the IAC valve and it worked great.I sat there shifting into gear and she continued to run.I went up and back on my street and when I came to a stop in gear, she stayed running. Afew hours later, I went out to check it and sure enough its stalling when I shift into gear again.
A friend of mine says it may be the torque converter? Confusing that it worked temporary after installing the new IAC, but now it does not. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 9:51 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

It could deal with the torque converter or torque convert clutch (TCC). Have you checked for other things such as vacuum leaks?

Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 9:53 PM
  • silverado88red

I have not.I just got the truck and she is in need of some TLC. The IAC valve was also a friends suggestion. Vacuum leaks would cause her to stall when shifted into gear?Where do I start.I do have a manual that I just bought.

Sunday, October 2nd, 2011 AT 9:57 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Start with the vacuum leaks. Check to see if you can find any. Then I would check the IAC and move to the trans. If you haven't, scan the computer for trouble codes first.

Monday, October 3rd, 2011 AT 4:44 AM
  • silverado88red

OK, I will check all possible areas for a vacuum leak.I read the manual and it tells you where to check.
Scan for trouble codes? Can you do that even if there are not any check engine lights lit up on the dash? I do have access to a scanner.
Have you ever ran into this type of problem before?

Monday, October 3rd, 2011 AT 5:52 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If the light isn't on, chances are there are no codes. However, you can check to see if there are any stored. Keep in mind, this could be the IAC too.

Monday, October 3rd, 2011 AT 5:54 PM
  • silverado88red

Good idea. Will do.I installed a new IAC and the truck stayed running in gear for a brief run around the block. An hour later I went out to try it and it was doing it again. Still stalling when shifted into gear. Odd that after installing the IAC, it worked fine and then it did'nt.

Monday, October 3rd, 2011 AT 6:02 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Remove the IAC and have a helper turn the key on and off. See if the pintil is moving. You may have a bad one or there may be no power to it. Maybe moving the wiring around allowed it to get power for a short period of time. (One never knows)

Monday, October 3rd, 2011 AT 6:08 PM
  • silverado88red

Good idea.I'll let you know what happens.

Monday, October 3rd, 2011 AT 6:13 PM
  • silverado88red

Well, I have checked for vacuum leaks and I can't find any. After checking the new IAC, it seems to be working properly.
Would a faulty MAP sensor cause it to stall when shifting into gear?

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 AT 12:53 PM