1988 Buick Century car will not start.

VWHITE94
  • 1988 BUICK CENTURY
This car was my daily driver for over a year, and it was my fathers before this for another three years. It drove like a dream and never had any trouble starting before this. My boyfriend and I drove to his friends house for the night, the next morning when we were leaving it wouldn't start at all it sounded like it was bogging down on every turn, we tried and tried until the battery was dead. We tried jumping it and used starter fluid with no luck. So a week went by and we towed it home my father looked at it and we thought it wasn't receiving enough gas and checked the fuel filter and pump the filter was clogged so badly with this gooey syrup like substance, so we bought a new one to put on it. We checked spark plugs they were all good. We then checked the oil it was almost 5 quarts over filled with gas and smelled really strong. We drained the oil and replaced it about half way to see if it would fill back up. The engine is flooding out with gas to the point it was spraying out when we were trying to start it I made my father quit and we let it sit for another week or so came back and he bought a new battery and tried it then it caught on fire. Did someone sabotage my car by maybe putting sugar in the tank or something because the gas did not smell right and we filled it up about four days earlier? It doesn't make any sense it started perfectly every day no problem is it worth trying to fix? Or is it something more serious?
Saturday, October 5th, 2013 AT 4:41 PM

Someone could have done something, but that is a good question at this point. If the engine is filling up with fuel, then my guess is that either the fuel pressure regulator is not working and allowing too much fuel to enter the engine or injectors are sticking and dumping fuel.

Lets start by checking fuel pump pressure to see if it is within the manufacturer's specs. If you need directions, go to our homepage. We have directions and a video to help you.

You know. It is funny it wouldn't start with starting fluid. Are you sure there is spark to the plugs? Were the plugs wet?
Saturday, October 5th, 2013 AT 4:45 PM
VWHITE94
We did check all the spark plugs and they all have a spark we even replaced them just to be sure. I'm not sure if they were wet I don't believe they were my father replaced them. We checked the fuel pump and filter, the filter was clogged beyond belief but the pump seemed to be working. I just don't understand what could of happened to it but I will definitely try checking the fuel pressure regulator and see what's up with it and come back to you on that.

What would cause gas to be in the oil my father is a small engine mechanic but he said he has never come across that in a car?

When we were trying to turn it over and my dad was looking through to maybe try and pin point something the exhaust was leaking what we thought was condensation but when he touched he said it smelt like gas. I know that cant be normal. It also has a timing chain could timing be an issue for it to not catch and turn over?

Thank you so much, Victoria
Sunday, October 6th, 2013 AT 9:13 PM
You have to either have a stuck injector dumping fuel into the engine or the regulator isn't working.
Monday, October 7th, 2013 AT 8:13 AM
VWHITE94
Thank you so much you have been so helpful today I bought a fuel pressure tester and it is the problem and obviously not working at all. Thank you
Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 5:35 PM
Is it the regulator or the fuel pump?
Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 5:46 PM
Sorry, you asked earlier why the gas was getting into the oil. When the injectors dump fuel, there is too much for the engine to burn. As a result, raw fuel washes past the piston rings and mixes with the oil.

I just wanted to let you know that. You asked before and I never answered you.

Sorry.
Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 5:51 PM
VWHITE94
Its the regulator but I'm sorry to ask just one more question how do I completely get all the extra gas out because we have emptied the oil twice and it's still filling up with gas? But I really do thank you at least I know what to do now to fix it.
Tuesday, October 8th, 2013 AT 7:44 PM
You can ask as many questions as you want. As far as getting gas out, just drain the oil (again) and replace the filter. Once the regulator is replaced, you shouldn't have any more problems.
Wednesday, October 9th, 2013 AT 5:26 AM
VWHITE94
Hey sorry I haven't replied in a while my father has been trying to work on it I don't know what he has done but he blew the engine. So he's just going to replace it. Thank you for all the great advice I appreciate all the help I don't know how he did this but hopefully a new engine will fix all the problems
Thursday, October 17th, 2013 AT 10:12 AM
Glad to help. Let me know if you have questions in the future.

Thursday, October 17th, 2013 AT 10:58 AM