SHIFT LINKAGE

1987 Ford Ranger

chriselig

September, 20, 2013 AT 12:39 PM

I bought my Pappaws truck. He locked up the engine, so I am replacing it. I am trying to remove the shift linkage from the side of the transmission. I pulled a cable from it. But am unable to remove the linkage itself. It does not pry from the transmission and I can't figure it out. Is there something on the inside of the transmission that is holding it there?

mhpautos

September, 20, 2013 AT 3:30 PM

The shift linkage rod should unbolt and fall away easy, the flexi cable will be the speedo drive, not sure why it will not come off, can you send a pic of what you are having trouble with?

chriselig

September, 20, 2013 AT 5:42 PM

I will send you a picture tomorrow in the daylight. I am also having a problem removing the torque converter bolts because the engine threw a rod and is seized. When I removed the oil pan there were pieces of piston everywhere. Anyway I cannot get engine to move and that is why I am trying to bring transmission out with the motor. Any tips on torque converter bolts?

mhpautos

September, 20, 2013 AT 7:19 PM

If the sump is off, can you undo all the rod ends and back off the main caps, this should allow you to turn the engine enough to access torque converter bolts.

chriselig

September, 21, 2013 AT 4:23 PM

I removed the main caps with a breaker bar and the water pump and timing chain. Then dropped the crank shaft and that freed the pieces that wouldn't allow it to turn. And I got the torque converter free and the engine is now out of the truck. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Chris selig

mhpautos

September, 21, 2013 AT 5:06 PM

Good news, well done, thank you for using 2CP

Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Replace Muffler