1987 Ford Ranger

ADANIELS140@GMAIL.COM
  • 1987 FORD RANGER
I am having problems with my ford ranger it is getting bad fuel millage as well as misfireing. My idle is erratic and there is no power any more.
I have replaced the following: idle controll valve, the tp sensor, the o2 sensor, my entire ignition system and my coolent temp sensor. I have faults #'s 11 13 15 33 45 76 or 77
Thursday, January 27th, 2011 AT 11:59 PM

Had similar problem with my Dad's '86 T-Bird. It was the injectors, they are not "Diagnosed by the Computer", It just operates them. However they do make other things throw codes because they are acting up.

I was pulling my hair out and made several trips to the salvage yard and obtained nearly every sensor (2-3 of each) I thought surely they all cannot be bad, I got a bagful for like $10! My intentions were to figure out which one----THEN BUY A NEW ONE. This did not work, I was on the Verge of Suicide, when my buddy had went back and got the whole throttle body off of a wreck that had low miles, for $20. I laughed when he gave it to me. Because I had taken this car to several mechanics for an assessment, took it to the "Super Expert" that dealers take theirs Major Problems to (about $150) for a diagnosis (he said TPS. NOT!), And I had spent a MONTH changing everything in the world, I even had to learn how to "FIX or CALIBRATE" BASE IDLE ( Which I had ignorantly, screwed with the Pre-set Idle Screw, which "Zeroed Idle" with the Computer). It was the INJECTORS the Whole time!

Need a Bagful of sensors?

I am not a Paid Mechanic (as you can see) I do know Jeep CJs very well and answer there a lot. My status here, is "Helper", I am a member just like you, 'cept I answer a lot more. This is my Hobby, I saw you were "Answerless" so I thought I would try.

I hope thats your problem, maybe you can try some used ones prior to buying new ones.

Let me know if you need more "School of Hard Knocks" assistance!

I just draw the pictures, you must color them!

My answer may not be your problem.

The Medic
Friday, January 28th, 2011 AT 3:55 PM
ALABAMAPOWER
Did this work for you? Please let me know. My 1987 Ranger went from 21 mpg to 14 mpg over the past few months. I rebuilt the 2.9 Nov 2009. I'm going to change sensors anyway, but wondering about the injector advice. Thanks
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 1:51 PM
Roger, the injectors solved the whole problem---That even the experts, did not even suggest!

I was so relieved when we put in the 2 throttle body injectors, and everything smoothed out, that was close to 10 years ago (I still remember the SICK-GUT FEELING I had when I thought I was letting my Pap down, I couldn't fix it, nor anyone else I could find). And even NOW, the salvage yard specials are still in there, and it runs like a dream!

Have you messed with the idle screw, or has anybody else?

On the T-Bird, it was a simple procedure, to get it trued back in, re-calibrated to the entire system. It was shown to me by a buddy. He said it was the EZ Field Expedient Method to get Zeroed back in, with the throttle related sensors.

Before I did the procedure, I found out that the T-Bird's BASE IDLE was supposed to be 400 RPM (a repair manual), that is, even though its sorta a "IMPORTANT FORMALITY", it would never be there again (400), except while performing the procedure. Hence, You just cannot make it idle that low, because the computer keeps stepping it back up.

The procedure was in part, getting to 400 RPM without the computer taking over and pushing it beyond that. Then letting the computer "Sense" where 400 was "AT"(momentarily), as you finish it out.

Interested?

It worked for the T-Bird, I don't know if you have the same exact gadgets on yours, I will explain if you want to know.

As far as USED INJECTORS (inexpensive-salvage yard type) Can you get some to to try. Before you spend $$$ for new ones?

I just searched nearly for a month, for a rear-end for the T-Bird, It was GROWLING pretty bad, what can you expect, over 800,000 miles of laboring, everyday, for 25 years. W/ only "ON TIME" scheduled maintenance (Mainly Me)! Ring, Pinion and bearings were gonna be outrageous, and time consuming. Reckon it's got a Warranty Still?

Dad (Pap), Retired Air Force, PERFECTIONIST SUPERVISOR/ MAINTAINER OF ALL BIRDS, Theirs and HIS, Just Died 21 DEC 10. Mama just will not turn loose of the car, which they bought NEW, late '85 (still looks and runs very decent). They located a rear end for it 90 miles away via the Salvage Yard Computer System. I had to go get it, it was $150Wrecked in front, w/ less than 60,000 miles.10 years ago that woulda been $1000 or more, I guess they figger now, It's gotta cheaper (no big demand), or scrap it out for less than $10.

I'll shut up now

You Turn

The Medic
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 5:04 PM