BRONCO WONT STAY STARTED

• Rick Davies
  • 1987 Ford Bronco

Bronco won't stay started. When I turn the key to the start position, it stays on. Once I release it to the run position, it shuts off. Since the issue I have changed the battery, the solinoid, resistor, ignition switch, the starter, and the ignition cylinder (where the key goes). I am at a loss here. Please help.
Thank you,
Rick

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 12:10 AM

• ASEMaster6371

The module may be the issue. It was a common problem back in the day for just that symptom.

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:15 AM
  • Rick Davies

The Module? Is that the modulator? If not, where is it located?

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:25 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Module, modulator is on the trans.

What motor

roy

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:34 AM
  • Rick Davies

351

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:36 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

SOUNDS LIKE A BREAK IN THE IGNITION

LIKE IN THE "ON" POSITION TO THE COILMAYBE A FUSE?

THE REASON IT "RUNS" IN THE "START POSITION" IS THE "I" TERMINAL ON THE SOLENOID IS POWERING THE COIL (AS IT SHOULD). "I" DIES WHEN THE KEY IS RELEASED (AS IT SHOULD). THEN "ON" IS SUPPOSED TO TAKE OVER

CHECK ANY FUSE RELATED TO IGNITION---SNATCH 'EM IN AND OUT A FEW TIMES TO SORTA "CLEAN" THEIR LEGS AND THE FEMALE PART OF THE FUSE BOX. MY JEEP CJs' FUSES USE TO GET THAT FAINT WHITISH CORROSION ON THEM.A DAB OF DIELECTRIC GREASE HELPS A LOT TO PREVENT IT

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:40 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Remove distributor cap and adapter. Position cap and wires aside.
Disconnect TFI wiring.
Remove distributor from engine using tool T82L-12270-A or equivalent to remove security-type hold-down bolt, if equipped.
Place distributor on workbench and remove 2 TFI module screws, Fig. 2.
Pull right side of module down distributor mounting flange and then back up to disengage module terminals from connector in distributor base. Module may then be pulled toward flange and away from distributor. Do not attempt to lift module from mounting surface before moving entire TFI module toward distributor flange, as pins at distributor/module connector will break otherwise.
Coat metal base plate of TFI ignition module with 1/32 inch thick layer of silicone grease D7AZ-19A331-A, or equivalent.
Place TFI module on distributor base mounting flange. Carefully position TFI module assembly toward distributor bowl and securely engage 3 distributor connector pins.
Install 2 TFI module mounting screws and torque to 9---35 inch lbs.
Install distributor on engine.
Install distributor cap and adapter.
Connect TFI wiring.
Check and, if necessary adjust engine timing according to decal.

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:42 AM
  • Rick Davies

Would it be easier to just replace the distributor, distributor cap, and module instead of pulling it all apart like that? My mechanical skills are limited.

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:50 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

If you loosen the distributor and turn it towards you, you will not have to remove it. Just make sure you mark where it was for the timing.

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:53 AM
  • Rick Davies

These are all great suggestions. I will be working on it with in the next couple of days and will get back to you?

THANK YOU

Monday, November 12th, 2012 AT 1:55 AM
  • Rick Davies

I changed the modulator bolted on the drivers side of the engine compartment. FIXED THE PROBLEM. Thanks guys

Tuesday, November 13th, 2012 AT 1:28 AM