ALTERNATOR/VOLTAGE REGULATOR

1987 Chrysler 5th Avenue

Judi Todd

December, 24, 2010 AT 8:15 PM

Alternator on 1987 Chrysler 5th Ave is cranking out 20 volts and burned out battery. New battery installed and still alt. Cranking 20 volts. Does this car have a votage regulator that can be replaced? Or an EMC?

saturntech9

December, 24, 2010 AT 8:48 PM

It's a external voltage regulator then can be replaced.I posted a diagram of where it is.

Judi Todd

December, 25, 2010 AT 4:10 AM

Thank you very much for your quick answer. This is what I was hoping, as my son can replace it for me now. I sure appreciate your answer. Merry Christmas to you. Judi

Judi Todd

December, 25, 2010 AT 4:12 AM

Thank ou saturntech9. Your answer is very much appreciated. Merry Christmas. Judi

saturntech9

December, 26, 2010 AT 4:37 PM

Your welcome hope you had a merry christmas.

Judi Todd

December, 26, 2010 AT 9:16 PM

My son wanted me to ask you also, if pretty much it sounds like it IS the voltage regulator that is causing the alternator to crank out 20 volts instead of 12 to 13? I mean, it seems like that would be the only thing that it could be. What is an (and I might get this wrong), EMI or EMC? Or if the car has an external VR, it doesn't have this other EMI or EMC? Thanks again for helping with this.

saturntech9

December, 27, 2010 AT 5:34 PM

You have a external voltage regulator I posted the wire diagram to show you that.I also posted how to test the voltage regulator to see if it's bad. You could have a bad voltage regulator but I would do the test I posted to make sure that's what the problem is.

Judi Todd

December, 28, 2010 AT 12:00 AM

Thank you again for your help. I will forward this info to my son. Again, Happy Holidays! Judi

saturntech9

December, 28, 2010 AT 2:01 AM

Your welcome that's what were here for happy holidays to you too.'

Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator testing done right
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500