86 Honda Accord lope

LT.SPRAU
  • 1986 HONDA ACCORD
1986 Honda Accord LXI, I have a lope in the engine that happens shortly after start up, every time I start it no matter the engine temp. Their is a vacuum hose by the air intake pipe where the intake wing is for the air, and if I remove it the idle will stop loping, but the pcmfi light comes on with a slight rough idle with a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. I'm wondering if it is from a vacuum problem, and how to fix it. In the picture is the vacuum hose that when disconnected (like it is in the picture) would stop the lope, but make the pcmfi light come on and would make it smoke really bad. Thanks for all your help.
Friday, February 4th, 2011 AT 12:13 AM

KHLOW2008
Surging occurs when the idling speed is too high or there is a vacuum leakage to the intake manifilds.

The hose that you dis connect is for the MAP sensor and if remove would cause idling problems or black smoke from exhaust.

Check coolant level.
Check for clogging of coolant hoses to IAC and the FITV ( part that is partly hidden in picture, with 2 screws on top. Remove the cover and ensure there is no vacuum leakage when engine is at operating temperature.

Ensure idling speed is adjusted correctly.
Monday, February 7th, 2011 AT 8:49 AM
LT.SPRAU
One of the reasons why I havn't got back sooner is because other things have gone wrong with the car like right now the transmission isn't working. I finally ended up screwing in the screw all the way for the idle that is located on the top left if you look at it from where the plastic intake comes in (the screw behind the red hose) and it stopped the lope, but now it has an idle at almost 2,000 rpm. I was wondering, and about to try it, but wanted some feedback first, to screw in the screw that keeps the wing open so that the wing will be all the way closed because it is open just enough to show a little light if you look at it right. So if anyone can help me then I would very much appreciate it.
Wednesday, April 27th, 2011 AT 4:06 AM
KHLOW2008
The throttle plate stopper is factory set and should not be tampered with. If the throttle plate looks not fully closed, then you need to readjust the plate so that it closes. Adjusting it back too much would result in the throttle plate sticking when fully closed and you would have difficulty pressing the gas pedal when throttle is fully closed.

The screw that you adjusted is the idle adjusr screw and if the idling speed was set too high, it would surge.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks and did you test the FITV amd IAC?
Wednesday, April 27th, 2011 AT 1:06 PM