86 NO SPARK.

1986 Ford Ranger

mike luckey

February, 2, 2014 AT 9:31 AM

86 ford ranger, died while driving. Replaced the fuel pump and relay. Then later realized that the pump had no power to it. Also discovered a no spark situation. So, no spark, and no power to the fuel pump. ICM and coil test ok. Put in a new ignition switch. Removed EEC computer, to go to pullnsave to find another. Out of desperation, I tried without the computer installed. LOTS of spark, but still no power to the fuel pump. Weird. Couldn't find a used EEC, buy suspect this may be the problem. Any Ideas? BTW. Also checked the inertia switch. Everything ok there too. Help!

hmac300

February, 2, 2014 AT 9:43 AM

There is a fusible link running probably off the starter relay it is a yellow wire leading to fp relay the fusible link is blue and are available at auto parts. Make sure to put correct one in.

mike luckey

February, 2, 2014 AT 2:30 PM

I will check that thank you! Do you think my spark issue could be a bad computer?

hmac300

February, 2, 2014 AT 3:42 PM

It could be but scan for codes to see if any sensors are bad like a crank sensor or cam sensor.

mike luckey

February, 3, 2014 AT 5:37 PM

No codes, fusible links ok. Still leaning toward the EEC. What do ya think?

hmac300

February, 4, 2014 AT 5:52 AM

Try it is all I can say

mike luckey

February, 5, 2014 AT 1:26 PM

Kind of stuck trying with that now. I think we have tested/tried everything else. I will let you know.

Ignition System Test Guide
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet