1986 Ford F-150 Clutch

BRANDONNATHANBUTLER
  • 1986 FORD F-150
I followed the instructions replacing the clutch step-by-step word for word when I started the truck I got a grinding clanking noise wondering how or where I messed up please anything would be helpful
Monday, June 3rd, 2013 AT 8:58 PM

WHEN YOU REMOVED THE OLD SET

............DID YOU COMPARE ALL OF THE PARTS WITH THE NEW ONES?

WAS THE CLUTCH COVER (PRESSURE PLATE HOUSING) THE SAME HEIGHT?

HOW DID YOU GET TO THE CLUTCH---ENGINE OR TRANNY SIDE?

2WD OR 4WD?

CAN YOU PIN THE NOISE DOWN TO THE CLUTCH AREA OR MAYBE IN THE TRANNY?

COULD IT BE THE STARTER HITTING THE TEETH ON THE RING?

IS IT POSSIBLE YOU INSTALLED A LONG BOLT WHERE A SHORT ONE SHOULD GO?.....I KEEP MY REMOVED "STUFF" STABBED INTO A CARDBOARD BOX SO THAT EACH BOLT/ SCREW/ PART GOES BACK INTO THE SAME HOLE IT CAME OUT OF

IF YOU DO GO BACK IN----INSPECT BOLTS TO SEE IF THEY HAVE BEEN BENT/ OR HAVE "NEW SHINY" PLACES ON THE ENDS AS YOU REMOVE THEM

THIS MAY SOUND STUPID, BUT WILL AT MOST, WASTE YOUR TIME

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY----REMOVE THE SPARK PLUGS (KEEP 'EM IN ORDER) NOW THE ENGINE WILL TURN FREE-ER

USE A RATCHET OR A WRENCH TO TURN THE CRANKSHAFT BOLT (AND CRANKSHAFT) HAVE A BUDDY LISTEN IN DIFFERENT PLACES AS YOU ROTATE THE ENGINE.......A 3 FOOT LONG PIECE OF HEATER/ GARDEN HOSE MIGHT BE USED LIKE A STETHOSCOPE TO FIND THE AREA THAT THE "RACKET" IS COMING FROM.....THIS MIGHT KEEP YOU FROM PULLING EVERYTHING BACK OUT

THIS METHOD MIGHT ALSO BE USED AS YOU TAKE EACH "STEP" APART AS YOU VENTURE DEEPER IN

I FEEL FOR YOU.....I PULLED THE TRANNY (AND TRANSFER CASE) OUT OF MY '77 JEEP CJ 5 SEVEN TIMES.......THE 1ST TIME WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE TICKET, I REPLACED EVERYTHING IN THE TRANNY CASE..............A FEW MONTHS LATER AND 6 MORE PULLS, I FIGGERED OUT THAT THE "BRAND NEW" 2nd TO 3rd SYNCHRONISER WAS MACHINED WRONG AND WAS CAUSING A GRIND WHEN I WENT FROM 2-3 OR 3-2

SOON AFTER THAT WAS STRAIGHT--MY '46 WILLY JEEP's THROW-OUT BEARING WENT BAD.......HECK, I PUT THE WHOLE NINE YARDS IN THERE 22 YEARS BEFORE (LOOKS LIKE THE BEARING WOULDA LASTED LONGER!) WHILE I WAS IN THERE, I PUT THE WHOLE CLUTCH SYSTEM IN AGAIN..........ALL OF THAT AND NEW SEALS IN THE TRANNY/ TRANSFER CASE COST ME LESS THAN $200............GOT ANOTHER 22 YEARS TO GO BEFORE I DO IT AGAIN!

TO SAVE TIME---THERE'S PICS IN THESE LINKS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1977-jeep-cj5-change-clutch

THROUGHOUT THIS ONE TOO

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1998-jeep-wrangler-transmission-removal

LEMME KNOW HOW IT'S GOING

Monday, June 3rd, 2013 AT 10:11 PM
NATHANLBUTLER
It sounds like something has fallen into the transmission and when I went to the gears while the car is off it'll be just fine except going from reverse to first gear
Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 AT 12:43 PM
THIS MAY NOT BE MUCH HELP. OR IT MIGHT!

THE PIC I'M ABOUT TO SHOW YOU (PIC 1) IS MY TRANSMISSION---WITHOUT THE TRANSFER CASE BOLTED ON

THIS TRANNY IS A "T-150", VARIATIONS OF IT ARE USED IN FORD TRUCKS.1970s AND 1980s----2WD AND 4WD

WITH A 4X4 THE TRANSFER CASE BOLTS BEHIND IT---IN A 2WD A TAILSHAFT WOULD BOLT ON

THE WIRE YOU SEE IN THE PIC IS HOLDING THE "REAR BEARING ADAPTER" FROM FALLING OUT REARWARD. UNTIL I GET IT BOLTED TO THE BELL HOUSING, I REMOVE THE WIRE JUST PRIOR TO THE TRANSFER CASE BOLTING ON. MANEUVERING THE HEAVY TRANSFER CASE INTO PLACE WITHOUT PULLING THE REAR BEARING ADAPTER OUT IS SOMETIMES A CHALLENGE

( IF IT BACKS OUT A HALF OF AN INCH---IT COULD MEAN REBUILDING THE TRANNY AGAIN!)

THIS IS THE REASON!

THERE ARE 3 BIG SHAFTS IN THE TRANNY (AND 1 LITTLE ONE)----ONE BIG ONE IN THE MIDDLE (COUNTER SHAFT) IT MUST BE PULLED INTO PLACE WITH A WIRE AND IT'S SHAFT INSTALLED ***** AFTER THE 2 BIG SHAFTS IN THE TOP ARE MATED TOGETHER ( IT'S A 2 PIECE SHAFT----INPUT SHAFT AND MAINSHAFT)

PIC 2 IS THE "MIDDLE" SHAFT (COUNTERSHAFT) WITH THE WIRE AROUND IT READY FOR THE 2 PC SHAFT TO BE INSTALLED

PIC 3 IS "US" PRESSING THE REAR BEARING ADAPTER ONTO THE MAINSHAFT

NOTICE THE SHINY TIP END AGAINST THE CLAMP (RIGHT END OR FRONT OF THE SHAFT)

THIS END IS A BEARING SURFACE----IT FITS INSIDE THE INPUT SHAFT

THE INPUT SHAFT IS PIC 4

PIC 5 IS WHAT THE END OF IT LOOKS LIKENEEDLE BEARINGS!

SINCE WE ARE INSTALLING, THEY ARE HELD IN WITH GREASE----AFTER IT RUNS, ONLY GEAR OIL WILL BE THE ONLY THING IN THERE!

THIS SEEMINGLY "ONE SHAFT" IS 2 PIECE----BECAUSE THE SHAFTS WILL TURN IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS DEPENDING ON THE GEAR SHIFT SELECTION

JUST TO PUT THIS STEP IN----THE COUNTERSHAFT IS NOW LIFTED INTO PLACE AND IT'S SHAFT INSTALLED (PIC 5).
.
.
THIS IS THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE INSTALLED!
.
.
NOW FOR THE MORAL OF THE STORY.

IF THE ADAPTER SLIPS BACK A HALF INCH OR SOTHE NEEDLE BEARINGS FALL OUTSHOVING IT BACK FORWARD DOES----NOT!PUT 'EM BACK IN!

THEY ARE NOW IN THE BOTTOM OF THE CASE. THE ONCE "STRAIGHT" 2 PIECE SHAFT IS NOW A "BROKEN BACK MINNOW". GEARS DO NOT MESH PROPERLY!

I HAVE MANY MORE PICS OF THE STEPS OF MY TRANNY REBUILD----IT IS COMPLICATED---IF YOU ARE DOING IT FOR THE 1ST TIME!

IF THEY FELL OUTBACKING UP TO THE COUNTERSHAFT INSTALLATION STEP IS AS FAR AS YOU NEED TO BACK UP

POSTING MORETHIS MAY BE MY PIC LIMIT FOR THIS RESPONSE
Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 AT 8:18 PM
HERE WE GO

I THINK THESE PICS WILL EXPLAIN THEMSELVES

1) HEALTHY SHAFTS!

2) ACCIDENTAL SEPARATION

3) SHOVED BACK IN (NOT REPAIRED) THE "BROKEN BACK MINNOW" EFFECT INSIDE THE TRANNY

4) ALLRIGHTY THENIN THE LAST RESPONSE THIS IS THE MISSING PIC----THE NEEDLE BEARINGS IN THE INPUT SHAFT
.
.

. RECKON THIS HAPPENED?

Tuesday, June 4th, 2013 AT 8:24 PM
YOU DON'T RECKON YOU FACED THE CLUTCH DISC THE WRONG DIRECTION?

ANY NEWS?

Wednesday, June 5th, 2013 AT 2:49 PM