1985 PONTIAC GRAND AM NO SPARK FROM SEC. COIL

• kyleT
  • 1985 Pontiac Grand Am

I do not get spark from my coil to the dist.I do get feul to the tbi, but no gas comes from the injector. Not a drip.I've checked and replaced quite a few sensors. Ing. Components, distributor components, finally I purchased a new ecm, put my prom into it, now I have a trouble code of 51! My original did NOT have any codes. So I reinstalled my old one with the prom and now get 51 w/ my old one. Please help! Thank you.

Monday, September 30th, 2013 AT 2:36 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

DTC - 51 prom error

Is the prom new? Did you check the ignition module?

Monday, September 30th, 2013 AT 5:01 PM
  • kyleT

No new prom. Did the prom mess up both my new and old ecu's? Also I did replace ing. Mod. So the only thing left to hopefully get back to square 1 is to get a new prom? I'm guessing if I do get my computer to no codes. AS long as I don't get any spark I won't see any gas trying to spray right? Went back to my manual again and looked to see what else to look for, and remembered that on the ecu box said to check all solenoids and looking thru the schematics I only found 1. It's for the fuel inj. Honestly even though it's on the schematic I can't find it. To me you have the connector to the fuel injector then it goes staight to the ecu.I know first things first to get the ecu right. Thanks hope you can still give me some more info.

Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 10:48 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Sorry, but 1985 was a long time ago for me. I may be a bit rusty. Are you saying that there is no fuel either? Have you checked for an ASD? (Can't remember if this had one).

Tuesday, October 1st, 2013 AT 5:10 PM
  • kyleT

No ASD. I do get fuel all the way to the tbi. So I have fuel pressure. Also I just got back from the pick n pull and was lucky (maybe) enough to find an 86' stick shift same engine. So I grabbed the prom a little worried about it though.

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013 AT 12:47 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Let me know what happens.

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2013 AT 4:49 PM
  • kyleT

I finally purchased a used ecm and now no codes. Now back to having no fuel or spark. I've gone thru most of the wiring end to end, so far no breaks or loose connections.

Thursday, February 6th, 2014 AT 2:29 PM