1985 Ford LTD no brake lights

MISSJEN1978
  • 1985 FORD LTD
My brake lights went out on my 1985 ford ltd, fuses & bulbs are good. What else can it be? Also a few months back my hazard lights, and dash lights went out too. The fuses are all good. I'm at a loss don't know what else it could be I need somebody to help asap please.
Monday, October 21st, 2013 AT 7:19 PM

Most common cause, when all the brake lights are not working, is the brake light switch itself. Ford used a really odd design that was no more reliable or unreliable than any others. The next most common cause is the turn signal switch. That switch disconnects the brake light on the side you're signaling from the brake light switch and connects it to the signal circuit when you move the lever.

If the dead brake lights are accompanied by a second dead circuit in the same area, in this case the tail lights or the backup lights, a cut or corroded wiring harness would be a good suspect, especially if someone used some type of quick connector to install a trailer towing wiring connector. Those let moisture in leading to corroded wires.
Monday, October 21st, 2013 AT 8:40 PM
CADIEMAN
Test for voltage going to the brake light switch at the upper part of the brake petal use a test light to do this. Kk
Monday, October 21st, 2013 AT 8:46 PM