Ford F-150 Temperature

TIRABS
  • 1985 FORD F-150
I have a 1985 Ford F-150, have replaced the radiator (new hoses) thermostat, Heater core and the Temperature sensor. As soon as I start the truck the gauge goes straight to hot, what am I missing?
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 2:50 PM

I am not real familiar with your rig

Thru some "Hard Knocks" experience, I have found that on other rigs, there are 2 "units" related to temperature on the engine---one is the "SENDER" for the Gauge---the other is a "Sensor" for the computer. Please pardon me for not know the exact nomenclatures for these items. Changing the wrong one (your fault or the Parts Store Guys)does not fix your problem, so maybe a "RE-INVESTIGATION" is in order!

I am a CJ kinda guy, I answer the "Real Jeeps" with much confidence. My Dad is a Ford Kinda guy, so I get some experience with his rigs!

The another possibility that I can see, is the "Sender Wire" has somehow, somewhere "GONE TO GROUND", meaning: YOU GOT A SHORT BETWEEN THE GAUGE AND THE SENDER

Last I can think of, is your Gauge is hooked up wrong or JUST PLAIN BAD

Let me know how things work out (I crave responses, thats about all I get out of doing this!

The Medic
Thursday, December 2nd, 2010 AT 3:31 PM
TIRABS
Replaced the Sensor again with the correct part and problem was fixed! At the parts store I asked for the Sensor and was given the part that was almost exactly the same as the one pulled from the vehicle (slightly more conical on the threads, but otherwise identical) when that didn't work I went back for the Sender and was given the exact same part, so I asked for the sensor again and received a piece again identical but was plastic, replaced the "sensor" amd the truck ran fine. I am unable to locate the "sender", I figure since I had it I might as well replace it, but alas, unable to locate.

Thanks for the info CJ!
Friday, December 10th, 2010 AT 11:33 PM
Roger, verify tis is a 258 and I will send various pics of my simplified engine. Minimal vacuum lines.A 4 barrel intake with a Holley 390 on it. Locations of the 2 places the 258 had a temp sender. My extra temp gauge and it sender location

Tell me and I'll start a-clickin'

The Medic
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 2:58 AM
Sorry I screwed this up!---I have another post running similar to yours---a Jeep Truck!---I got carried away thinking that I was answering him!

So, I have no clue where your sender isGo to Autozone or Advance Auto ONLINE.....click in your info, it will spit out your part and a pic (sometimes the pic is a General type for that section---if you click on that----THE REAL ONE WILL BE LINKED TO THE "SAMPLE" PIC

Maybe you can spot your by that!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/PartSearchCmd?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&pageId=partTypeList&suggestion=&actionSrc=Form&searchTerm=temperature+gauge+sending+unit

this is exactly like my Jeep--only the nut part sticks up, w/ a small rubber "push on" connector, mine is on the drivers side (258) rear on top of the block---on other 258s its on one side or the other of the thermostat housing.

This is my neighbors Jeep (I already had this pic----excuse the crappiness--Ron neglects his baby......Top Right is a Blue Connector that he added on to his sender wire.......the sender looks identical to the one in the link from the parts store!

I will throw in a few "Pertty" Jeep Pics of my engine!!

The Medic
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 3:41 AM
TIRABS
Thanks for the link, was able to identify what the "Sender" should look like and now know for certain that I was sold 2 same/but different "Sensors." I appreciate your time!
Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 8:34 PM
THAT'S HOW I GET A WARM FUZZY!

SOMEONE-AT MINIMUM RESPONDING!

BUT TO FIND OUT, I MADE A DIFFERENCE AND MAYBE LINKED SOMEONE TO ANOTHER RESOURCE OF INFORMATION, THEY WERE UNAWARE OF, MAKES ME FEEL GOOD.I MOSTLY FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY.

I HAVE MORE TRICKS UP MY SLEEVE, FOR "FREE ASSISTANCE/ HELP/ EXPLANATIONS/ COUNTRY-BOY METHODS TO ACQUIRE THINGS AT REDUCED RATES/ ETC"

ANY TYPE OF IMPROVISED WAY TO DO SOMETHING---I'M YOUR FELLER!

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE----RESPOND AT THIS POST--I WILL BE ALERTED, AND WILL ANSWER YOU TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY!

LAST FREE RESOURCE! ENTER "HOW TO_ _ _ _ OR SIMILAR---VARIOUS DIFFERENT WAYS TO DEFINE WHAT YOU WANT---ON "YOU TUBE". CAR FIXIN' TO BIRTHDAY CAKES!

1ST TIME I TRIED IT, I SAVED $250 ADJUSTING THE SPRINGS ON MY GARAGE DOOR "CORRECTLY". THE THE DUMB-BUNNY INSTALLERS, BEFORE I BOUGHT THE HOUSE, MUFFED UP----THE OPENER WAS STRAINING TO LIFT IT AND IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO RAISE IT MANUALLY, WITH A POWER OUTAGE

LOVE YOU TOO!

Saturday, December 11th, 2010 AT 10:03 PM