1985 Chevrolet Silverado Malfunctioning brakes

ANDREWBERRY17
  • 1985 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
In my '85 Chevy, the brakes are so loose, it would be similiar to a knife thru butter. I have changed out the brake fluid, bled them. Also, we changed out the tires and checked the bearings. Brake pads and bearings were replaced. The bearings were covered with rock hard grease that may have never been regulated for some time. After all the replacing and adjusting, for a moment it seemed the brakes were getting better, but then the same problem persists. Any suggestions, advice or answers would be greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 AT 9:53 PM

WHAT IS YOUR BLEEDING TECHNIQUE?

WHAT ZACKLY IS HAPPENING.....LOW PEDAL.....PUMPING HELPS....PEDAL IS GOOD, SLOWLY SINKS TO THE FLOOR?

HAVE YOU RUN THE MASTER CYLINDER OUT OF FLUID?

THIS COULD HELP YOU........GIMME MORE INFO IF IT DOESN'T

THIS IS HOW I DO 'EM.......SEE "MY ANSWER" IN THIS POST, ITS THE ONE AFTER 22 JAN 13

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2000-jeep-tj-changed-master-cylinder-on-wrangler-process-changing-mc-noticed

Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 AT 10:18 PM
ANDREWBERRY17
Bleeding Technique: 1. Pumped the brakes a couple times. 2. Checked the lines to see if fluid excreted, which it did. 3. Adjusted the screws and sealed the brake lines.
After the initial repair, I pumped the brakes but the problem still persists. Replaced the Master cylinder and fluid.
Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 AT 10:25 PM
When you bled the brakes, are you starting from the passenger side rear and working your way, one at a time, to the closest wheel to the MC? When you bleed the brakes, you mentioned you pumped them. Was the bleeder closed when you pumped them? Then while you still had pressure on the brake pedal, someone opened the bleeder to allow fluid to escape and then tightened the bleeder before the brake pedal was released? Also, are you sure the rear brakes are properly adjusted?
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 5:15 AM
ANDREWBERRY17
1. I believe we did the rear driver side first, then the front passenger, rear passenger, and the front driver.
2. Yes, the bleeder was closed.
3. Yes, that aspect of the repair was done correctly.
4. Not sure if the brakes are properly adjusted but that issue never came up so I was never able to bring it up.
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 6:03 AM
When bleeding the brakes, one must start at the wheel furthest away from the MC and then move progressively closer, RR, LR, RF, LF.

Also, if the rear brakes or out of adjustment, it will create a soft pedal.
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 6:23 AM
ANDREWBERRY17
Alright, it was also mentioned that replacing the brake booster might have been a solution. Might there be any truth in that?
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 6:35 AM
No. If the brake booster is bad, it would be a very solid brake pedal and hard to push; it wouldn't be as you described.
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 7:02 AM
ANDREWBERRY17
Well that is all the questions I have and I am very grateful for your assistance and expertise. You have really helped me alot. Yakokai (Thank You.)
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 2:32 PM
Let me know when you find the problem. I would like to know what it is.
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 2:37 PM
ANDREWBERRY17
Will do.
Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 AT 2:39 PM