Car doesn't start

JUSTIN.LONGLAND
  • 1985 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I have a 1985 Chevy Impala that tries to turn over once every time I turn the key. What could be the cause of the starter only engages one turn? I've already replaced my battery in the car.
Saturday, November 27th, 2010 AT 9:31 PM

The starter overrunning clutch could be slipping-Weak battery and bad connections
Saturday, November 27th, 2010 AT 9:35 PM
JUSTIN.LONGLAND
Not sure if that's the issue. I know the battery is brand new though. I'm trying to troubleshoot my car that died on my wife at Target while I'm deployed to Iraq. Just trying to get some ideas that I might not be thinking about at the time. I will have her try to clean off the battery terminals though. Next step from that is to replace the starter.
Saturday, November 27th, 2010 AT 9:39 PM
What is it doing cranking over and will not start or just won't crank at all/nothing when you turn key to starting position
Saturday, November 27th, 2010 AT 10:02 PM
JUSTIN.LONGLAND
It turns once then stops. After trying to turn it over a second time it just does nothing. We bought the car used from someone else recently and realized the guy wasn't completely honest about what all was really wrong with the car. I'm thinking the starter did go out since I think it was going out before now anyways.
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 5:42 AM
If the engine is not cranking at all/nothing when you turn key to cranking position-could be the starter, starter relay, transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good.
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 1:47 PM
JUSTIN.LONGLAND
Before this problem came up it would hard start the first start of the day and the rest of the time it would start almost as soon as you turn the key and the starter would make a grinding noise. If it was the transmission positioning switch then in theory the car would still start in neutral. I know the battery is new. It was just bought maybe 2 days ago from Wal-Mart.
Sunday, November 28th, 2010 AT 7:40 PM