1985 Chevrolet Camaro car wont turn over

JRESCH13
  • 1985 CHEVROLET CAMARO
Had my battery die and jumped it and started right up. Was able to start it later that night as well. Went out for a bit then was about to go home and it wouldn't start so I jumoped it again and got nothing. Even replaced the battery. The car wont turn over and I feel like I cant turn the key far enough to where it would start turning over. What can be wrong? It has a brand new battery, starter, alternator. Its a rebuilt 305 and only has about 500 miles on the engine. I checked my fuses and everything checks out I also checked all my wires to the starter and battery. All the lights turn on and everything im just not hearing any engine sounds. And like I said all the parts are new in the car.
Saturday, June 8th, 2013 AT 10:03 AM

Use a digital multimeter across the battery posts, take a reading, everything turned off. The generic spec for a full charge is around 12.6 volts. If the battery is down, take it off and get it charged. You can't do any testing if the battery is down.

Replacing parts may not fix it, could be a wiring issue somewhere? Forget the jumper cables at the moment, check that the battery has a full charge, first.

Don't use the alternator to charge a dead battery. Just my opinion.
Saturday, June 8th, 2013 AT 10:44 AM
JRESCH13
Its a brand new battery though I just bought it after I tried jumping the one I thought was bad
Saturday, June 8th, 2013 AT 10:50 AM
Did you have the old battery tested to see if it was bad? Check the actual voltage reading at the starter solenoid, with key in the crank position. Have a helper turn the key to crank, while you check for voltage. The starter s terminal should be hot with key in the crank position. The starter bat terminal should be hot all the time.

You can use a testlight to check for voltage, but, a digital multimeter is a common tool like a screwdriver. The first step is about testing, not replacing parts.
Saturday, June 8th, 2013 AT 11:48 AM
Just to add, any testing at the starter, make sure tranny is in park or neutral and the parking brake is set.
Saturday, June 8th, 2013 AT 11:53 AM
You could jump the starter solenoid, to see if it will crank. There are safety issues. Safety is your responsibility because I can't see what your doing. You have to be positive the tranny is in park or neutral and a functional parking brake is set, block the wheels.

Used to hear all the time about farmers getting killed because they tried to jump the starter solenoid to start the tractor. They thought the tranny was in neutral and it wasn't, the tractor started and took off, that big back wheel caught them. You get the picture.
Saturday, June 8th, 2013 AT 12:05 PM
SHANA M
Yeah I agree with JDL there. Check the neutral safety switch located on the shifter. Or if you have key that has the chip on it. Try another key. The chip wears out over time. Most 85s didnt have them but some do. If it does and you dont have another key. You need to bypass the VATs system with a resistor from radio shack. Cheap fix. If thats the case you could look up online how to do it or I could walk you through it.
Tuesday, June 11th, 2013 AT 7:18 PM
JRESCH13
I tested everything it all checks out the only thing I haven't done is take apart tge ignition. Could that be it
Wednesday, June 12th, 2013 AT 12:04 PM
I can't believe nothing showed up? I don't know what else to tell you? Have a good day.
Saturday, June 27th, 2015 AT 9:56 AM