1984 Ford F-150 - Wont start/battery dead after couple of hours.

SUCCUBUS68
  • 1984 FORD F-150
Replaced battery, alternator, solenoid, starter. If I keep battery disconnected, it will start. Sometimes starts after an hour or so, but any longer, she won't start. I checked, no electrical draw from lights in or outside vehicle. Could it be the battery cables?
Thursday, June 9th, 2011 AT 6:53 PM

What's the symptom when it doesn't start?
Thursday, June 9th, 2011 AT 7:01 PM
SUCCUBUS68
No juice at all, acts as if the battery is dead. If I recharge the battery overnight and re-install in truck, then it starts, but same problem. If it sits for more than a couple of hours, nothing. Turn key, no lights, no nothing. Thank you for replying so quickly!
Thursday, June 9th, 2011 AT 7:14 PM
Then you gotta have something draining the battery or it isn't being recharged while driving. Based on your description, I don't think the recharging is the issue. When you park the truck, disconnect the negative battery cable. Reconnect it when you're ready to drive it again. If the battery is still charged, we'll know it's a drain.

To go dead in a couple of hours suggests a pretty big drain. A glove box light staying on would take more than overnight to drain a battery. Some of the more likely stuff includes sticking switches for power windows and power seats. On newer trucks there can be a whole pile of computers that fail to turn off but that isn't a problem on an '84 model.

Don't overlook the possibility of a self-draining battery. That would cause it to be dead even after letting it sit with the battery cable disconnected. A common cause of that is the thick greasy film of acid that builds up on top of the case. Washing the case will take care of that. If bad enough, that can drain a battery overnight.
Thursday, June 9th, 2011 AT 7:44 PM
SUCCUBUS68
Thank you for the quick reply! I really appreciate your guidance on this one as we are stumped. Already disconnected the neg battery cable, plug back in and it starts up. No power seats on this truck (1984), but there are power windows. The battery was purchased new from the repair shop in April. No film or acid on the battery that I could see when I brought it in to recharge, but I will check again. I definately think it is a drain.
Friday, June 10th, 2011 AT 3:30 PM
What about removing the positive cable. In between the Pos battery clamp and the Pos Battery terminal, INSTALL A 12 VOLT TEST LIGHT.

If there is a draw, the test light will be on.

Yes, you will probably have a draw--Like the "Memory" wire of your radio

Just a Thing!

Eliminate Possibilities!

Start snatching fuses--start with radio and radio related

When you finally pull one, and the test light changes (low light conditions, may help you see the test light better). This is probably your "CULPRIT"!

I'm more in tune with older (Real) Jeeps and Ford's, caradiodoc may be able to tell you other "Normal" draws (like the radio) you might have on your "Newer" Vehicle.

Keep us informed, regardless of who figures it out--We learn too!

The Medic
Friday, June 10th, 2011 AT 4:59 PM
Well, "Culprit" meaning "somewhere on that circuit", not necessarily what ever the fuse is labeled

If you do find it, stick all the fuses back in 'cept for the Evil one. See what all don't work in your truck, thats on that circuit

There are other things that are not thru the fuse block, like the alternator--if it comes to that point. Disconnect it's wires. Disconnect wires off of the solenoid (start with the smaller accessories 1st)

Sorry! This is kinda EZ stuff to try. So don't start whinin'! Get to it, I wanna hear some positive results!

The Medic
Friday, June 10th, 2011 AT 5:08 PM