1984 Chevy

84CHEVY
  • 1984 CHEVROLET TRUCK
  • 22,200,000 MILES
1984 chevy p/u, replaced the thermostate three times in last year. Replaced the temp gauge from the sending unit in the engine to gauge, temp will still max out before reducing, then regulate properly after that. Coolant and oil levels are good.
Monday, December 6th, 2010 AT 12:34 PM

Is the engine overheating or is the problem just with the gauge?
Monday, December 6th, 2010 AT 1:36 PM
84CHEVY
As I stated, I replaced the temp guage. It is doing the same thing as the guage I replaced, maxing out, then going back to normal andstaying there. T
Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 10:30 AM
Then it has to be an electrical issue. Have you checked continunity in the wiring to see if there is too much resistance in any of them?
Tuesday, December 7th, 2010 AT 4:49 PM
84CHEVY
I don't understand your answer. What wiring are you referring to? The former guage was wire connected, the new guage is not. So, what wire do I look for?
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 12:23 AM
There is still wiring to the sending unit, correct?
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 5:06 PM
84CHEVY
No, it is a hard copper line much like a thermo couple type device that goes from the sending unit to the guage.
Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 1:11 AM
84CHEVY
I sent a reply on 12/8 and have not received a reply. Is my question being looked at, or should I seek assistance from someplace else.
Wednesday, December 15th, 2010 AT 6:40 PM
Sorry, we have had many changes and things have been mixed up. As far as the issue, I have to be honest. I have never seen what you are describing. I have see solid copper line for fuel gauges, but not temp.
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 12:00 AM
84CHEVY
Well, It is similar to the thermocouple of a water heater or gas furnace. The point is that the guage still maxes out before the thermostat releases. Is it possible the water pump blades could be damaged to the point that they are not pushing the water through efficiently enough to affect the thermostat function.
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 2:00 AM
Anything is possible, but that would be odd. If you remove the radiator cap (engine cold) and start the engine allowing it to warm up, can you see the water circulate when the thermostat opens? You should be able to. Also, I reviewed your original post, and all the others. Are you sure there isn't an air block? Did you try bleeding the cooling system?
Friday, December 17th, 2010 AT 2:46 AM
84CHEVY
Had not thought of an air block. How do you bleed the cooling system?
Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 12:15 AM
If there isn't a bleeder on the top of the thermostat housing, loosten the return line from the heater core and see if air comes out from there with the engine running and the heater on.
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 12:52 AM