'84 Blazer overheating

BREW1975
  • 1984 CHEVROLET BLAZER
  • 120 MILES
Radiator went out, replace it. Took thermostat out tested it works but '84 blazer still over heats and fluids in over flow is boilling. Any ideas?
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 5:26 PM

Just for testing, take thermostat out, hook everything back up. Make sure coolant is full. Does it help anything? Were you having this problem before you changed out the radiator? Maybe air in the system? You do have coolant flow, engine running? Maybe combustion gases getting into the cooloant? Fan work ok?
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 5:55 PM
BREW1975
No wasn't having this problem beforehand. My heater core went out a few months ago and I was told to just by pass it since I don't use the heater. Could be a issue? Once I go grab me a new gasket ring ill try what u said without the thermostat.
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 6:07 PM
BREW1975
Trying to learn this stuff as I go. Reason why I bought. If can't figure it out. To the shop it goes
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 6:10 PM
Hey, I hear you. Experience is the best teacher. Working on it is the best way to learn, then if you have any questions, ask somebody.
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 6:25 PM
M_H_RITZEL
Over the years still learning, I agree with JDL but would do something when you take out the thermastat. Back flush the system to clean it out. With it being a 84 some dirt and sludge can build up in the system. Then put it back together. I have one rule of thumb I practice, I learned it from my late father. Whenever you empty a cooling system with a thermastat he would always put in a new one when he put it back together.
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 6:47 PM
BREW1975
Back flush? Dump it a few times?
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 7:03 PM
M_H_RITZEL
With the engine cold disconnect one of the heater hoses put a water nozzle in it and back flush the system with water. After it has been cleaned out you can either put a thermastat in and try it or leave it out and see if it overheats. Cooling systems do need a thermastat to restrict some of the coolant flow so when it goes through the radiator it has a chance to cool it down. Without a thermastat it will run openly and will cool down when a little when it goes through the radiator.
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 7:24 PM