1983 Jeep CJ7 black smoke coming from exhaust

DLARR
  • 1983 JEEP CJ7

Thank you for your website. I have an all original 83 CJ7 jeep which is blowing black smoke from the exhaust. If the Jeep is idling you won't see any smoke, but when you increase the throttle it blows heavy dark smoke. What can I do with her to stop the smoke problem? Many thanks, David

Wednesday, October 30th, 2013 AT 4:58 PM

Dave:

Black smoke indicates that the fuel mixture is too rich. Is the air filter clean? Is the choke opening fully?

Just an FIY, CJMEDVAC is the tech to give the best advice on CJ vehicles. Most likely he will pick up on this. However, if he doesn't, let me know about the questions I asked.

Wednesday, October 30th, 2013 AT 5:20 PM

LET'S START OUT WITH THE MEAT AND POTATOES

FEEL FREE TO ADD ANYTHING ELSE. SPACE IS NO PROBLEM. USUALLY I WILL RESPOND WITH NOVEL-LIKE ANSWERS (AS THIS PROBABLY WILL BE) THAT GO ON FOREVER. SO PLEASE. SPILL YOUR GUTS. PICS ARE ALWAYS NICE TOO!

SORTA NEED TO KNOW THESE THINGS:

ENGINE SIZE. TRANNY (MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC). TRANSFER CASE

MODIFICATIONS THAT YOU OR OTHERS HAVE DONE. INTAKE. CARB. EXHAUST. IGNITION SYSTEM AND COMPONENTS. VACUUM LINES/ WIRING SNATCHED OFF AND GONE

WHERE DO YOU SORTA LIVE. ARE YOU EMISSIONS TESTED IN YOUR REGION. BEING THIS OLD, DO THEY HAVE MORE LENIENT TESTS FOR YOUR RIG?

WHAT ZACKLY DO YOU DO WITH YOUR BABY. LOOKS AND REGULAR PERFORMANCE TO PICK UP CHICKS.A ROCK CRAWLER.A DRAGSTER. ALWAYS WEARS MUD?

DO YOU REALLY LOVE YOUR JEEP?

I LOVE BOTH OF MINE. YOU CAN NEVER "OUT LOVE ME, WITH MINE". BUT CONTINUE TO TRY!

I HAVE MANY REFERENCES. LOTS OF PICS OF MY OWN REPAIRING.I'M DECENT AT TALKIN' YOU THRU STUFF

. KNOWING YOUR ABILITIES (AND ENGINE KNOWLEDGE) AND TOOL COLLECTION, LIKE MAYBE A TIMING LIGHT AND A DWELL/ TACHOMETER (PORTABLE TYPE).I MIGHT BE ABLE TO "TAYLOR" MY RURAL ROUTE EXPLANATIONS TO SUIT YOU BETTER. YES, WE MAY NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE (SORTA MAYBE INEXPENSIVE ONES)

I CANNOT HELP YOU MUCH WITHOUT SOME OF THIS STUFF. WE CAN DISCUSS OBTAINING THINGS AS WE GO (I MAY HAVE SOME INEXPENSIVE OPTIONS UP MY SLEEVE).I'M MORE FAMILIAR WITH "STOCK" OR "CLOSE TO STOCK" CJs. IF YOU SLING IN A "2005 V-12 CHEVY MOTOR. WITH SOME WILD TRANNY.I'M PROBABLY NOT THE ONE TO AID YOU!

. MOST OF THE TIME, A "CJ FIX" IS NOT. POUR IN SOME LIQUID. OR TURN A SCREW IN TWO TURNS WHILE YOU TEXT TO YOUR GIRLFRIEND. DOING IT RIGHT, IS THE ONLY WAY. AND YOU REALLY GOTTA REPORT BACK YOUR FINDINGS AND ACCURATELY. OTHERWISE "WE" WILL BE "CHASING. YOUR TAIL"!

JUST SO YOU KNOW, SEVERAL OTHER CJs AND I HAVE CREATED THREADS HUNDREDS OF RESPONSES LONG (HERE ON 2CARPROS). AND OTHER MONTHS AND MONTHS. AS WE JUST SORTA CONTINUED TO FIX OTHER STUFF ON THEIR JEEPS

THIS IS HOW I GET MY KICKS, SO FEEL FREE TO KEEP ON RESPONDING, I'LL ATTEMPT TO AID YOU ALL I CAN

I TRY TO HAVE FUN DOING THIS STUFF. SO BE A SPORT.I DO PICK ON PEOPLE (JUST IN FUN). PICK BACK. DON'T GET MAD AND TAKE YOUR FOOTBALL HOME!

ALL RIGHTY THEN. YOUR TURN!

Wednesday, October 30th, 2013 AT 7:18 PM
DLARR

Thanks Joe and The Medic! This is my first time on this site and I am already seeing that I will enjoy the brotherhood very much. To do my best to answer the questions so you can help me more. I bought the 83 Jeep in 2002. I found it online from a dealer in Chapin SC, but based on the paperwork I received with the CJ, the Jeep spent its life in Florida. The body and engine are original with very minor cancer spots in places around the windshield. The engine is the 6 cyl and the air filter was switched out from what I can tell. It is a small rectangle filter and not the typical AMC drum filters they used back then. The Jeep is babied beyond normal. She only comes out on nice sunny days and never has her top nor doors on.

So, I have used air filter cleaner today and will oil the filter shortly. When I removed the air filter I could tell there was fuel in the pan under the filter itself. So your comment about running rich makes perfect sense. So the information I guess I need is how do I adjust the richness. Also, is there anything else I can do to improve the performance. Regarding my resources at my disposal are the basic tools (I have a huge tool collection, but tools for everything and not just mechanic tools) and a good brain to follow instructions. I am strong with vehicle wiring, but not so strong with engine moving parts. I spent a few years decades ago working in a garage and picked up some knowledge from the mechanics. I definitely do not have a timing light so hopefully we can resolve the problem without that or I will have to buy one. Oh, you also asked about the transmission and it is manual. Let me know if I missed something and also if you need pictures of anything if it will help.

Best regards to you both,
David

Thursday, October 31st, 2013 AT 4:11 PM

Dave:
We're glad to help. I am going to wait for CJ to reply to you. He is the EXPERT on CJ vehicles. If he doesn't get back to you, I will follow up. However, I know him and he spends time just looking for questions like this. Lol

Good luck and let me know if there is something I can do to help.

Thursday, October 31st, 2013 AT 4:31 PM
DLARR

Thanks again Joe! You are a good man.

All the best,
David

Thursday, October 31st, 2013 AT 4:44 PM

OK!

SEEMS THE BIG GUYS ARE NOT SENDING ME E-MAIL NOTIFICATIONS TO ANYTHING I HAVE ANSWERED LATELY. RATHER, ANY ACTIVITY ON A POST THAT I HAVE ADDED TO

LUCKY FOR YOU.I ALWAYS CHECK THRU THE CJ 5, CJ7, AND WRANGLERS. PRIOR TO LOOKING AT ANY OTHER SUBSTANDARD VEHICLE TO ANSWER. EMAIL OR NO EMAIL!

TOO BAD FOR THE OTHER ONES.I JUST DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO "MANUALLY" RE-LOOK-UP EVERY ANSWER I HAVE GIVEN TO THE "OTHER SUBSTANDARD VEHICLES", JUST TO SEE IF THEY DID RESPOND. OR NOT

THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE. LIKE GETTING 25 NOTIFICATIONS OR MORE, ALL AT ONCE, BUT DAYS/ WEEKS LATER, AFTER THEY ARE PISSED AT YOU AND HAVE SEEKED HELP ELSEWHERE!

NO FEAR---CJ MEDEVAC TAKES CARE OF THE CJs!

SO IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE KINDA NEW TO THE CJ GAME. MAYBE LACKING SOME OF THE UNDER HOOD LINGO. MAYBE YOU NOT KNOW IF THINGS HAVE BEEN CHANGED OR NOT!

TOOLING. ABILITY. OTHER QUESTIONS ASKED BY ME IN "MY ANSWER 1"?

YOUR AIR CLEANER DESCRIPTION SOUND LIKE MAYBE YOU HAVE A "WEBER" OR "SOLEX" CARBURETOR. NOT THE STOCK "CARTER BBD"

I GOTTA KNOW WHAT WE ARE STARTING WITH. WEBER AND SOLEX COME IN DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS AND (TO ME) ARE A BIT MORE DIFFICULT TO TUNE (AND UNDERSTAND).I FEEL SURE THEY ARE "GOOD", TUNED BY A HIGHER-TECH FELLER THAN ME.

.I GAVE UP ON MY WEBER AFTER PLAYING WITH IT FOR OVER A YEAR.I STUCK A 390 CFM HOLLEY AND AN OFFENHAUSER 4 BARREL INTAKE ON MY 258 (4.2L)(PICS ABOVE) AND INSTALLED AN O2 SENSOR ON IT TO AID IN JET SELECTION

BUT YOU REALLY CAN'T BEAT A BBD. SIMPLE TO TUNE. PROPERLY TUNED, YOU CAN SQUEEZE 16 MPGs OUT OF IT.I JUST HAD TO HAVE MORE (2 MORE, AS IT ENDED UP) THUS I SPENT A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT MAKING MY HOLLEY WORK BETTER. NOT TO MENTION AROUND $800 FOR IT AND THE INTAKE. MY FRIENDS KEPT TELLING ME I COULD BUY A LOT OF GAS FOR $800, I JUST HAD TO PROVE I COULD IMPROVE OVER THE BBD. ALONG THE WAY I TRIED ABOUT EVERY "GIMMICK" THERE WAS TO AID IN IT, WITH NO IMPROVEMENTS

I'M GONNA SHOOT YOU 2 PICS.1ST IS A "CARTER BBD" (ORIGINAL) VIEW FROM FRONT

.2ND IS A "WEBER DGEV" THERE ARE OTHER "LOOK ALIKE" BRANDS

. LAY YOUR HOOD BACK ON YOUR WINDSHIELD FRAME. STAND ON THE BUMPER. BOTH SIDES. GIMME SOME FULL ENGINE SHOTS AND ANY MORE YOU WANT. IT'S NICE TO HAVE A PIC OF THE WHOLE JEEP, SO WE CAN SEE WHAT WE ARE BLINDLY WORKING ON!

I AM "SUSPECTING" YOURS HAS A CHOKE ISSUE. IT MAY FEEL LIKE IT'S "HOLDING BACK" AS YOU DRIVE?

I PREFER A MANUAL CHOKE INSTALLATION. PUTS ME "IN COMMAND OF WHEN IT'S OFF OR ON. ALSO ELIMINATES PARTS STICK AND BINDING (JUST BY COMPLETELY ELIMINATING THEM)

I EVEN HAVE PICS SHOWING HOW THEY ARE INSTALLED/ HOW THEY WORK

SO HERE'S THE OTHER SET OF PICS I WANT FROM YOU

TAKE OFF THE AIR FILTER. LEAVE IT OFF. TOUCH NUTHIN' ELSE UNDER THERE!

. JEEP IS/ NEEDS TO BE, DEAD COLD. ACTUATE THE GAS PEDAL (DID SOMETHING CLICK AT THE CARB?) IF SO, IT WAS THE CHOKE CLOSING (LIKE IT SHOULD)

TAKE A PIC OF THE TOPSIDE OF THE CARB!

. NOW DRIVE IT. MAYBE 3-5 MILES. IT SHOULD BE AT OPERATING TEMP BY NOW

. TAKE ANOTHER PIC, TOP OF THE CARB. ARE THE CHOKE BUTTERFLIES STANDING 100% STRAIGHT UP?

NOW. GO TO THE PASSENGER SIDE TAKE SEVERAL PICS OF THE CHOKE COVER AND SURROUNDING AREA (IF NEED-BE, I'LL TRY TO EXPLAIN HOW TO ADJUST THE CHOKE. IF INDEED, IT NEEDS IT)

HAVE YOU POSTED A QUESTION IN THE PAST?

I'M OVER HERE, IN WESTERN S.C.---80? MILES FROM CHAPIN. ARE YOU CLOSE?

YOUR TURN. PICS. ANY MORE INFO?

Thursday, October 31st, 2013 AT 9:04 PM

1ST PIC DID NOT MAKE IT THRU

MY BIG CAMERA PICS HAVE TO BE RESIZED.I MUSTA NOTA WENT SMALL ENOUGH. HERE'S ANOTHER PIC OF THE MISSING (OEM) CARTER BBD CARB

Thursday, October 31st, 2013 AT 9:14 PM
DLARR

Thanks Medic, I will take the engine pictures and send them over. I have attached 2 pictures I found on this computer that shows you the baby we are working on. I was concerned that the carb wasnt original, but was hoping it was just the filter that was changed.

I will get the photos you outlined in your message.

Thanks again Medic
David

Thursday, October 31st, 2013 AT 9:55 PM
DLARR

Good morning Medic, I have tried 2 times to send over 7 pictures, but it has failed both times. I will try to send 2 at a time and then if I get them out to you, I will rewrite everything from my original messasge. Too bad I didn't think to copy the message on the 1st attempt so I wouldn't have to keep rewriting. The first version is always better.

All the best
David

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 2:47 AM
DLARR

Here is pictures 3 and 4.

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 2:48 AM
DLARR

Sorry for the stupid grammer mistake. Here ARE pictures 5, 6, and 7.

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 2:50 AM
DLARR

Sorry for the grammer mistake on my last message. FYI, this is the second time for this message as well. I tried to send the remaining 3 pictures, but it didn't go through. So attached now are 5 and 6. I will then write up my original message and attach the last picture I took.

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 2:52 AM
DLARR

This is my 3rd attempt to get you the remaining photos. I will try sending 1 at a time now.

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 2:53 AM
DLARR

Sorry for all the messages. If we do more pictures, maybe we should go with our email addresses. This is the 5th time I am trying to get the last 3 pictures over to you. I closed the page and opened it again to see if now it will go through.

Cheers
David

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 2:56 AM
DLARR

Medic, I cannot get the last pictures over to you. Can we switch to email? What is the best way to communicate this information if you agree? I have written a detailed message, but I attached the pictures and it was lost because I don't see it posted. I am not even sure if this one will go through with out any pictures attached. We shall see. If it goes through I will rewrite the message, but I need to find another way to send over the pictures.

All the best
David

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 2:59 AM
DLARR

Sorry buddy, I didn't know there was a page 2. I thought it would just keep going down on the same page.

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 3:00 AM
DLARR

So, good morning again. I cannot tell you how frustrating this site can be. After seeing that the pictures got sent and I found that there was a page 2, I began to rewrite my very 1st message that was in reply to your last message. In the middle I realized I should look at page 1 to make sure that covered everything I could, so I press page 1 not knowing that the site would wipe out my entire message again.

I am not near you, but I did live in Charleston for 4 years just over a decade ago. I have been living in NJ for the past 11 years. I moved around because of my employer at the time moved me around the country. So, as much as I wish I still lived in SC, I don't see any chance at this time to move back down there.

So, talking about the carb again, yes my baby seem to hold back when I step on the gas. I noticed that if I tried to put the pedal to the metal it behaved like it was getting flooded. Also, when I am in 5th gear, I lose power so I find myself down shifting to 4th to handle any kind of incline or to pass someone.

I am assuming at this point that when I take her out for the 3 to 5 mile drive (I hope that the rain stops today long enough to get this done when the sun comes up) that I must have the air filter in position and then carefully remove it to get the second shot of the carb. Does the CJ need to be running when I take the second shot or will the flap stay in whatever positon it is in even if the CJ is off? I hope you see this message this morning so I can try to get everything done today so you have the information to give me the advice to fix my baby. I am syched to help get my baby running smoothly and efficiently again.

I cannot thank you enough. I never post any questions on the internet before now, so I am blessed that I found you and Joe in my first experience. You have inspired me to find a way to pay it forward, but I am not sure yet how I can be of assistance for others. I definitely am good with any wiring questions for vehicles and boats (basically DC, and not AC. AC has a way of always biting me when I am working with it).

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks again for everything.

All the best
David

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 3:30 AM
2CARPROS MIKE
  • 711 POSTS

Thank you for giving us a try. :)

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 4:34 PM
DLARR

Thank you Mike. I gather from your signature that you are part of the organization running this site. First and foremost, as a first time user and member of the community, I am very happy with the product and from the two gentlemen I have chatted with you have generous community members.

I would like to mention however that there are a few things that I feel could use some improvement. If you don't want to hear my thoughts, please just disregard my comments and I won't be offended. It is very difficult as a new user to locate my thread from the home screen once signed in. If I don't already have it open so I can just hit refresh, I need to follow the link provided in the emails. I still have not been able to successfully navigate to this chat thread from the home screen. I did not notice for some time that there were page markers for the chat, so I thought my messages were not uploading and therefore I was sending multiple messages trying to successfully add my replies. The placement of the page markers coming below advertisements looked like they pertained to the reply itself and not the thread. Because you have multiple pages, I recommend that your reply remain written if you need to flip forward or back to reference something in the thread. While writing a reply I needed to go back to the first page to pick up a question and as soon as I clicked on page 1 I lost all that I had written to that point in the reply. If there are restrictions as to how large attachments can add up to be, you should list that out and actually alert the user when the maximum is reached. I tried to send over a number of photos and I had to keep reducing the number of photos until the reply was posted. This leads to my last point. If for some reason the reply could not post, you should make it so the wording of the reply remains there for the user to resend and not have to write everything from scratch again.

Best regards,
David

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 4:49 PM

SEEMS MY CHEAPO EZ-SHARE DIGITAL CAMERA WILL TAKE PICS I CAN POST----I CAN POST MAYBE 8 WITH NO PROBLEM

SO. USE A CAMERA TO TAKE THE PICS!

WE CAN OVERCOME THIS CYBER CRAP!

I TOO HAD TO LEARN TO COPY MY "TEXT" BEFORE I HIT THE SUBMIT BUTTON, THIS FIGURED OUT AFTER I LOST MANY 2 HOURS OF WORK WRITING MY NOVEL-LIKE ANSWERS (AS YOU HAVE ALREADY EXPERIENCED

LETS GET THE "CHOKE PICS". REMOVE THE FILTER AND IT'S TOP. BEGIN COLD. ACTUATE THROTTLE PEDAL. TAKE PIC ONE OVER HEAD OF THE CARB. THEN WARMED UP. DRIVEN 3-5 MILES. LAST PIC WITH IT RUNNING. OVERHEAD OF THE CARB. IT WILL NOT HURT TO LEAVE THE AIR CLEANER OFF FOR THIS 2 PIC, ENTIRE PHOTO SHOOT!

YOU DO HAVE A WEBER DGEV "PROGRESSIVE CARBURETOR". MEANING. DURING NORMAL DRIVING YOU WILL BE OPERATING ON ONLY ONE BARREL

. WHEN YOU REALLY STICK YOUR FOOT INTO IT. YOUR MAIN BARREL (THE NORMAL ONE) WILL BE FULLY OPENED AND THE 2ND BARREL WILL BEGIN TO OPEN (AND PROGRESSIVELY) OPEN MORE AND MORE AS YOU PUSH THE PEDAL DEEPER

AS I SAID BEFORE.I GAVE UP ON "TWEAKING" THE WEBER I HAD, I DO KINDA UNDERSTAND IT'S THEORY. FOR SOME REASON HE AND I COULD NOT GET TO TOGETHER ON HOW "I" WANTED HIM TO WORK. THE ADVERTISEMENTS PROMISED 20% BETTER POWER AND MPGs THAN THE OEM BBD.I NEVER WAS ABLE TO GET A.01% IMPROVEMENT, WITH MY MANY TWEAKINGS, I WENT INTO THE "NEGATIVE" ON MPGs, THAN THE 16, I GOT WITH THE OEM BBD

SINCE THEN, AND WITH MY HOLLEY, I HAVE PICKED UP SOME TIPS THAT HAVE HELPED THE HOLLEY. THEY MIGHT COULDA HELPED WITH THE WEBER. WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE FOR ME

LET'S SEE IF YOU HAVE A CHOKE PROBLEM 1ST.I CAN TALK YOU THRU A "FIX" FOR THAT

MAYBE YOUR CARB WILL SUIT YOU BETTER, AND YOU'LL STICK IT UP WITH THE WEBER

IF YOU WANNA GO BACK TO OEM, I CAN HELP YOU THRU THAT WHOLE DEAL TOO, MAYBE SAVE YOU SOME MONEY OBTAINING ONE ALSO

YOUR TURN

Friday, November 1st, 2013 AT 5:09 PM