WHY WONT MY CAR IDLE PAST A COUPLE MINUTES?

• 83pony_vert
  • 1983 FORD MUSTANG

My 83 Mustang 5.0 302 4brl (carbed) keeps dying out after running for about 2 min or so.
I got the car after it had been sitting for 6+ years. After doing what was needed to get the car to start, the car would idle fine and run until I turned it off. After updating my brake componets (booster, Master Cyl, and complete rear brake shoe rebuild), I took the car out for a drive to test the brakes and it seems when the car got warm it would die out, and hot start back up until I let it cool down for a few min, this problem went on for about an hour until I parked it and took off the carburetor to be rebuilt. After installing the rebuilt carb the car wont idle for more than a couple minutes before dying out. I have all the componets I need for a tune up of the ignition system (ignition coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor). Any ideas on why the car will not stay running. Do I need to do the tune up and change those parts? Thank you for your help

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 9:14 AM

• KHLow2008

I believe it is the carburettor idling system you should be looking at. Ensure the carb is tuned, synchronised, idling and air fuel mixture adjusted correctly

Thursday, August 23rd, 2012 AT 9:46 AM