1983 Chevy Silverado

SKITTERBUG
  • 1983 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I just bought a 1983 Chevy Silverado. It's an automatic orgionally diesel has been converted to gas. Ran yesterday when I brought it home. Today when I tried to start it to go to the DMV to get it registered it won't start. The first time I tried it the engine tried to start but wouldn't catch and turn over. Then I tried it again and got nothing, not even clicking. However the strange part is that I can turn the heater on and it blows air so I would say the battery still had power. If I can't get it to start I'm going to call the person I bought it from and get my money back. I've had it less then 24hrs and I didn't pay for a giant ugly paperweight. Any thought would be very helpful I know nothing about trucks this is the first one I've ever had.
Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011 AT 6:01 PM

Do below to determine if its a fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing
Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011 AT 7:45 PM
You need to make sure battery has a full charge. All battery connections are clean and tight. Use a digital multimeter across battery posts, everything turned off. The generic spec for a full charge is around 12.6 volts. Check charging system.

Another test, you can turn headlites on, turn key to crank, if the lites go out or almost, usually the battery or cables.
Wednesday, March 23rd, 2011 AT 7:47 PM