1982 F-150 missing

SUTHRNCUMFORT1976
  • 1982 FORD F-150
I have a 1982 F-150 w/ an inline 6 cyl 300. I just installed a new ac compressor (I do ac work for a living, so it was done properly just fyi). Now it seems that the engine is missing a lot.I was wondering if I might need to adjust the timing to accomodate for the extra pull the compressor is putting on the engine?
Wednesday, May 25th, 2011 AT 11:32 PM

Carb?

Does the high idle kick in, when the A/C is turned on?

Run perfect without A/C on?

The Medic
Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 2:28 AM
SUTHRNCUMFORT1976
Actually I'm not sure what "high idle" is. The choke is wired shut (totally redneck I know, but it's my baby lol). And I think it DOES run better with the ac off. Any ideas?
Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 2:38 AM
Your truck is 5 years newer than my "Newest" Jeep--36 year newer than my other one!

I mess with CJs mostly, I answer in the CJ forums a lot, whenever they do come in (CJ are rugged and sturdy, few have problems!)

When you said "Choke", you were really saying, "I have a Carburetor!"

Over the years, everybody who has messed with 'em (older rigs) especially if they "WISHED" they were McGyver, has messed something up and it need to be put back normal---or "RIGGED" in a correct working fashion.

Unless you live near me--You must do all of the required testing and fixing. You got fixin' stuff? Know your way around your engine? Tune up tools. Give me some answers, before we get carried away.

I CAN DEFINITELY HELP YOU WITH THIS ENGINES PERFORMANCE. If you can do your end!

My CJ 5 is a 258, and very similar to your set-up, Jeep used some of Fords Systems---Ignition, starting.

The high idle is normally a solenoid or similar dealee, that pushes on your throttle arm (to make RPMs Increase) when the A/C is activated (maybe defrost also)

I have messed with this stuff in other peoples/ family's rigs, But most of the time, CJs just do not have A/C

On the cars from let say '74-'85, the auto engineers goal was to see how many vacuum lines he could cram into so many cubic feetThe more OLD--MESSED WITH VACUUM LINES--the bigger the possibility of leaks.

I live in a zone where, people do not even know what pollution is, 'round here, they do not check pollution stuff.

My carburetor vehicle is capable of running perfectly with 3 vacuum lines. Distributor Vacuum Advance---PCV---My Vacuum gauge on my dash.

I have no power brakes, my climate controls are cables, not vacuum, I have headers--No EGR. Yours probably has all of that stuff, . But thats only 5 lines (why are there 500 more?), Not counting the optional gauge.

So, in order to get it tuned up correctly, you must stop vacuum leaks, and make vacuum operated Whoop-T-Dos operate correctly. Or minimize the extra junk.

I have found that it is might near impossible to obtain Whoop-T-Dos for anything for 1990 on back. Case in point a '79 Jeep CJ Non-Linear Valve!

Please answer questions I asked (paragraph 5 especially)

Whachu wanna do? I help to the fullest extent.

We (both of us) can post pics too!

The Medic. As long as you need me!
Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 3:32 AM
SUTHRNCUMFORT1976
Damn brother, thanx for all the info.I live in coastal Mississippi, like 7 blocks from the beach. I have all the tools, and do know my way around an engine.

I have thinned out my vaccum lines. SORTOF lol. This truck is an old beater with 392k original miles. All the vaccum lines were rotted/crappy/plugged with a nail etc when I bought the truck for $400 8 years ago. It's NEVER let me down.

I have about $6k in the suspension/steering/breaks.I have Firestone do all that kindof work because it's all guaranteed for life and I don't have the time.

I have just now gotten around to working on the engine mechanics.I know I need a tuneup (plugs/wires/cap/rotor etc), but before I installed the ac it still ran just fine.

The part about the high idle being a solenoid that increases the rpm's during ac mode makes total sense. Where IS that on my truck? How do I check/adjust/repair it
Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 4:03 AM
CUZ!

Lets do this thing!

Check out the carb and intake manifold for any vacuum posts that are not plugged off and are just sitting there sucking air! I like using the Vinyl caps-they do not rot like the rubber ones. I like to totally eliminate dead lines, not just cap 'em

To find these lines that need caps. The best thing to find 'em with is a vacuum gauge. Stick it on the port, if the needle reads---That's "MANIFOLD VACUUM" cap it!---If you stick it on, and get no reading, then you give it a little throttle and it "Reads". That's "Ported Vacuum". Cap it. All you want to keep is necessary lines that I described in my 2nd response. Do not cap off your bowl vent, it needs to breathe

Send me some carb views from your truck, I may can help somewhat!

After we get vacuum straight, we will verify the timing, then tune the carb. Yah?

I am gonna show you my old Jeep carb (the pertty one), and my neighbors (the nasty one!) And both being capped, even a intake manifold shot (This is "our" Jeep carbs-just an example!

Are you up for checking and maybe adjusting the timing? Once it it correct (by the book) It will stay timed there, it does not get adjusted, because of accessories/ or their load. Then on to tuning the carb?

1) Ok my 1st pic is a kit from "Harbor Freight" under $40 'bout all you will need, minus screwdrivers, compact, all in one case, ain't no Richard Petty set, but it will do!

2) These are the vents on my neighbors CJ7, that need to breathe, I stuck a fuel filter in my "pipe" to keep the dirt daubers out, but it could still breathe (this used to hook to the charcoal canister)

3) Intake "por"t with a cap (manifold vacuum)

4) My old carb in storage, I capped everything to keep it clean. Just an example of vinyl caps! We'll get to the screwdriver later!

5) Same carb, yellow thing is a bowl vent on top--like in my neighbors pic (2)

6+7) I now have a Holley 4 Barrel and a 4 barrel intake on mine. It is very simple too!

In all of my pics, I cannot find a solenoid which steps up idle (most all of ours, don't have A/C---Send pics of yours, I will point it out!

OK what's your take on all of this--so far?

Want to continue?

The Medic
Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 11:34 AM
SUTHRNCUMFORT1976
Wow. Dude you're nuts. If I didn't know better I'd think you were a bot. Yea, I'm totally down with fixin this thing. Gonna have to give me some time to get all the materials together.
Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 11:35 PM
Hey feller,

Wifey read this post--says I'm not giving short and sweet answers to you, so you can carry on (I reckon by yourself?)

She says you are "Making fun of me", and my extensive novel writing

She's a girl! (What I tell my grandson)

I Decoded your responses totally differently, To me, it looks like you do want assistance, just getting more than you expected! I do not mind helpin'.

Yes, you do need some diagnostic/ tuning tools. You can't get anything right on the money, by guessing!

I like jokin' around, probably more than anybody.I'm 47, not 74! So keep it coming!

So when you return, I expect that anything I tell you to do, if you do not understand--LET ME KNOW!--I can teach you more in depth!

Doing this is really fun and a challenge, sorta like breaking in the new Ranger private, so you can depend on him! 'Cept all of this is done in text, and I cannot see you doing your push-ups, when you mess up!

I wish someone had taken the time to show me this stuff, I had to learn a lot of this stuff on my own, or by pestering people!

Now I pester people for more info on fixin' these newer computer run cars.

Come back to this post and let me know when you are ready to begin, unless the "bot", is too much for you to handle! Click on my name, read my profile, you will understand how I was made into a "bot"

The Medic
Friday, May 27th, 2011 AT 4:52 AM
SUTHRNCUMFORT1976
Lol, not making fun of you at ALL, and I DEFINATELY appreciate the help. And what I DO know about cars I've had to learn the hard way; By being too damn poor to hire a mechanic lol.I'll try to get the stuff together soon, and I'll ABSOLUTELY get back to you when I'm ready. Thanks a million, talk to you soon
Friday, May 27th, 2011 AT 11:36 PM