Lets do this thing!
Check out the carb and intake manifold for any vacuum posts that are not plugged off and are just sitting there sucking air! I like using the Vinyl caps-they do not rot like the rubber ones. I like to totally eliminate dead lines, not just cap 'em
To find these lines that need caps. The best thing to find 'em with is a vacuum gauge. Stick it on the port, if the needle reads---That's "MANIFOLD VACUUM" cap it!---If you stick it on, and get no reading, then you give it a little throttle and it "Reads". That's "Ported Vacuum". Cap it. All you want to keep is necessary lines that I described in my 2nd response. Do not cap off your bowl vent, it needs to breathe
Send me some carb views from your truck, I may can help somewhat!
After we get vacuum straight, we will verify the timing, then tune the carb. Yah?
I am gonna show you my old Jeep carb (the pertty one), and my neighbors (the nasty one!) And both being capped, even a intake manifold shot (This is "our" Jeep carbs-just an example!
Are you up for checking and maybe adjusting the timing? Once it it correct (by the book) It will stay timed there, it does not get adjusted, because of accessories/ or their load. Then on to tuning the carb?
1) Ok my 1st pic is a kit from "Harbor Freight" under $40 'bout all you will need, minus screwdrivers, compact, all in one case, ain't no Richard Petty set, but it will do!
2) These are the vents on my neighbors CJ7, that need to breathe, I stuck a fuel filter in my "pipe" to keep the dirt daubers out, but it could still breathe (this used to hook to the charcoal canister)
3) Intake "por"t with a cap (manifold vacuum)
4) My old carb in storage, I capped everything to keep it clean. Just an example of vinyl caps! We'll get to the screwdriver later!
5) Same carb, yellow thing is a bowl vent on top--like in my neighbors pic (2)
6+7) I now have a Holley 4 Barrel and a 4 barrel intake on mine. It is very simple too!
In all of my pics, I cannot find a solenoid which steps up idle (most all of ours, don't have A/C---Send pics of yours, I will point it out!
OK what's your take on all of this--so far?
Want to continue?
Images (Click to enlarge)
Thursday, May 26th, 2011 AT 11:34 AM