WHAT DIAGNOSTIC CODE READER SHOULD I PURCHASE?

1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass

papichulo83

September, 28, 2011 AT 12:17 AM

Everytime I start my '81 Cutlass Supreme my check engine light comes on almost instantaniously. I took it in to my local Midas Dealership and they didn't have the right code reader to be able to diagnose my vehicle. I want to buy one for myself but I want to make sure that I get the right one that will read my OBD-I service codes. I can't figure out why my check engine light comes on all the time.

September, 28, 2011 AT 12:33 AM

There is a small tool that plugs into the connector and flashes lights which translate into codes. You can get it at autozone or pepboys. It is in expensive. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of money on a full blown scan tool.

saturntech9

September, 28, 2011 AT 3:02 AM

Just to add to this one dont waste your money on that plastic box with the lights and switches on it that hooks up to your obd1 connector.I posted how you can flash out your codes without buying the little box. They also sell a GM little key that plugs into the connector to flash out the codes that is really cheap. If you had a scanner you could read codes and some live data if your still intrested in getting a scanner one that reads obd1 and obd2 let me know I can tell which one to get. You could probably get one for around 200 or less.

papichulo83

September, 28, 2011 AT 5:13 AM

I do still want to get the scanner. I was looking at the Innova 3140 OBD 1 & 2 kit.

saturntech9

September, 28, 2011 AT 5:26 AM

I saw that one but if you read the years it does it only goes back to 1982 gm cars so not to sure it will do the 1981.I have the actron scanner that does the obd 1 and 2 I have only used it as far back as 1984 gm. So not sure if that would even do your car. Lets start with you flashing the code out using the check engine light and let me know what code number you have.

papichulo83

September, 28, 2011 AT 7:11 AM

I will do that tomorrow and let you know what I get! Thanks again for all of your insight and help!

saturntech9

September, 28, 2011 AT 3:33 PM

Alright keep us posted.

papichulo83

September, 28, 2011 AT 10:21 PM

I went to try what you suggested and my connector doesn't look the same as the one you showed so I don't know which one is which. Mine only has a 4 point connector.

papichulo83

September, 28, 2011 AT 10:25 PM

Actually mine is a 5 pt connector!

saturntech9

September, 29, 2011 AT 3:59 PM

We use mitchell ondemand to answer questions on this website and it shows no repair info for a 1981 olds like yours.I know the 12 pin and the obd2 16 connectors for gm.I really dont know much about the 5 pin GM connector but iam researching it and looking into a scanner that will work for your car as well. They made a scanner called the tech 1 thats what the GM dealers used before the the newer tech2 scanner came out.I found some on ebay I even found a 5 pin adapter for your car on there. So let me do a little more research and get back to you.

papichulo83

September, 29, 2011 AT 5:18 PM

That sounds great! I appreciate all of your help on this matter, and I look forward to hearing from you. Have a great day!

Jacob