Brakes

00SIXX
  • 1980 FORD F-150
1980 front brakes locking up new roto cal pads paporsion vavle and still locking up after you drive a few miles
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 6:56 AM

If you lift the wheels off the ground, do the brakes release when you take your foot off the brakes?
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 7:03 AM
00SIXX
I did not jack it up off the ground. I drove it about a mile and my new rotors were blue from being hot when it cooled down. They were not stuck so I'm not sure why both would be sticking at the same time. Could it be the rubber lines going to the caliphers? Could the lines be collapsing because they are the originals and haven't been replaced? Does the proportion valve keep the same pressure on the back and front?
Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 4:40 AM
The rubber hoses that go to the calipers can break down internally over time. As a result, you can force brake fluid through them to the caliper, but when you release the brakes, there isn't enough pressure to push the fluid back. Thus, they stick. What to do is this. Safely lift and secure the front tires. See if they turn. If they do, hit the brakes. The tire should stop. You should be able to spin it again when you release the brake pedal. If the tire won't spin, loosten the bleeder valve to see if that allows the caliper to release. If it releases, then the rubber hose is most likely the problem.

As far as the proportioning valve, it is designed to apply 40% pressure to the rear and 60% to the front. The front does most of the stopping. That is why they wear faster.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 5:26 AM