Why am I getting no spark?

POLARIS273
  • 1980 DODGE RAM

Hi I have a 1980 dodge w150 with a 360 in it, I am having a problem with spark. It has a new ignition coil in it and cap, rotor, and distributor are all good. Sometimes it will start and run but if you mess with the key it will shut off and die instantly. And then sometimes it will not even start. Would this be the actual ignition lock(tumbler) or the ignition switch connected to that inside the colomn?

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 AT 5:11 PM

ASEMASTER6371

Ignition switch. Sounds like you found the issue

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 AT 5:49 PM

Hi guys. If it runs until you release the ignition switch to the "run" position, suspect the dual ballast resistor. That was a REAL high failure item. The half that fails is the one that gets bypassed during cranking by the ignition switch.

The clue is if you hold the ignition switch in the "crank" position, it will stay running, and if you shift to "drive" the neutral safety switch will kick out the starter.

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012 AT 6:03 PM