1980 Chevrolet Truck will not turn over

DALELEE707
  • 1980 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I was driving home and I was going to run outta gas. I was going up a hill and it back fired very loud. Then it shut off. I tried timeing and nothing. The distributor teeth were chewed up. It trys to then over but it will not fire up. I'm lost on what it is. Also I was thinking about taking the engine out. It's a 250 straight inline 6. I was looking at at 350 long motor. Will that watch up OK. My truck is a 3 speed manual " 3 on tree" I need suggestions on what to do. How do I figure out If my what's wrong. And what extra things would I need if I did motor swap. Do u think a 350 would be to hard on my old tranny
Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 AT 10:03 PM

What does "I tried timeing and nothing" mean? If the teeth are chewed off the distributor gear, obviously that needs to be replaced. If that shaft stops spinning, the final sparks that occur will be at the wrong time leading to backfires, then the engine will stall.

I never did the engine swap you're talking about, but my understanding is all GM engines from that time period will bolt to the same transmission bell housing. The 350 c.I. Was a very popular engine so you won't have any trouble finding parts like engine mounts, fuel pump, and a larger radiator.

There's other important things you're not aware of that must be considered. The most important is the added weight of a larger engine. The front springs need to be stronger to support that weight when cornering and braking. If the front end sinks, it will change "caster". That's an alignment angle that has the biggest affect on steering wander and steering wheel returnability after turning a corner. Also, your brake hydraulic system was designed for a specific weight distribution. With more weight on the front, you may need smaller diameter rear wheel cylinders. Those will be easier to install than larger front calipers. The combination valve assembly has a proportioning valve in it that limits rear brake fluid pressure to prevent rear-wheel lockup under hard braking. You'll want to find a combination valve from a truck with a 350 engine.
Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 AT 11:43 PM