Transmission swap gear selector lever not the same size

BRIANAUSTINX
  • 1991 FORD F-150
I bought a transmission used (1980 AOD 4 Speed) to put in my truck listed above, everything’s hooked up and ready to go except the transmission gear selector lever is smaller than my old one was, how can I fix it? Can I interchange them or is there a simpler way to do it?
Monday, May 18th, 2020 AT 4:46 PM

Hi,

That's a tough one to answer not being there to see what you have. Can you upload a couple pictures for me to see? It should help.

Let me know.

+1
Monday, May 18th, 2020 AT 7:42 PM
BRIANAUSTINX
The first photo is the original transmission and the second one is the one already in. Sorry it s kinda hard to see it was pouring the rain last night when I took these. The lever doesn t come out far enough it looks like.
Wednesday, May 20th, 2020 AT 8:59 AM
You should be able to just switch them. Have you tried and something is too short?

+1
Wednesday, May 20th, 2020 AT 7:55 PM
BRIANAUSTINX
Yeah the gear lever won t go towards in far enough, it s smaller and shorter than the one on the old transmission. Is switching them really hard to do? It doesn t seem too bad to change but I m scared I ll mess something up.
Wednesday, May 20th, 2020 AT 8:04 PM
Hi,

I found directions for the manual shifter shaft seal replacement. It explains how to remove the shaft. The attached pics correlate with the directions.

____________________________________

1991 Ford Truck F 150 2WD Pickup V8-302 5.0L
Manual Shift Lever Seal
Vehicle Transmission and Drivetrain Automatic Transmission/Transaxle Shifter A/T Service and Repair Procedures Shifter A/T Removal and Installation Manual Shift Lever Seal
MANUAL SHIFT LEVER SEAL
WITH E4OD

REMOVAL
1. Remove manual lever position sensor connector. Check condition of electrical connectors and terminals, then repair as needed.
2. Remove lever control rod from manual lever, then the two manual lever position sensor bolts.
3. Loosen oil pan attaching bolts and drain fluid from transmission, then remove attaching bolts and pan.
4. Remove filter and seal assembly. Ensure seal is removed from bore.

Removing Manual Lever Roll Pin

Pic 1

5. Remove manual lever roll pin using remover tool No. T78P-3504-N or equivalent.
6. Remove inner detent lever nut. Hold lever with crescent wrench to prevent strain on lever assembly.

Removing Manual Lever Seal

pic 2

7. Remove inner detent lever and park actuating rod assembly from manual lever.
8. Remove manual lever.
9. Remove manual lever seal using screwdriver.

CAUTION: Do not score bore.

INSTALLATION
1. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
a. Install seal using shift lever seal replacer tool No. T74P-77498-A or equivalent.
B. Inner detent lever must be sealed on flats of shaft, and rod assembly must be through guide plate.
C. Inner lever pin must be aligned with manual lever.
D. Align manual lever position sensor for Neutral gear position using gear position sensor adjuster No. T89T-70010-J or equivalent.

_______________________

If you run into trouble, let me know. I'll try my best to help from here.

Take care,
+1
Wednesday, May 20th, 2020 AT 8:43 PM

Sponsored links