I have a 79 CJ7 that started and ran prior to my.

JAYBOT
  • 1979 JEEP CJ7

I have a 79 cj7 that started and ran prior to my problem. Now it wont start.I get spark out of the coil, but seams intermittent or no spark from the distributor. What took place, I replaced the head gasket and put in a new cam, lifters and timing kit. I put it back together and now no spark. There is a new cap and rotor, wires and plugs, even changed out the pick up coil inside the distributor.I have gotten spark a few times while trying to time it, while other times no spark. Always have spark to the coil but not past. Any ideas? What am I missing?

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 12:45 PM

JAYBOT

*correction.
I have spark from the coil to the distributor but not past the distributor

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 12:50 PM
ASEMASTER6371

Just a start but is the distributor turning when cranking?

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 4:28 PM
JAYBOT

Yes, it does turn.I just tested that again

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 5:21 PM
ASEMASTER6371

Ok, and nothing to the plugs? Is the rotor ok? No hole in the center where it could be grounding?

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 5:43 PM
JAYBOT

Rotor and cap look good. New. Just tried to fire again, nut the spark comes and goes. Im testing with an inline tester. Was sparking now its not

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 5:47 PM
ASEMASTER6371

What is the voltage to the positive side of the coil?

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 6:11 PM
JAYBOT

10.5 volts is what I believe I tested. I just had spark out of the distributor again for a few cranks, then gone. I don't get it.

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 6:59 PM

IF YOUR DISTRIBUTOR WAS NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY

WE CAN GET INTO THAT LATER---I HAVE LOTS OF PICS---AND CAN GIVE YOU SOME GOOD OLE RURAL ROUTE EXPLAINING

WE'LL EVEN GO INTO MAKING SURE YOUR FIRING ORDER IS CORRECT AS WELL AS CHECKING YOUR DISTRIBUTOR PICK UP

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF NON-STOCK MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN DONE TO THE IGNITION SYSTEM?

. AND THE WHOLE JEEP?

IS YOUR COIL NEW?---WHERE'D IT COME FROM?--PART NUMBER?DOES IT SAY "FOR EXTERNAL RESISTOR" ON IT?

NEED TO KNOW. WHAT ENGINE YOU HAVE?

PICS ARE NICE TO SEE WHAT WE ARE WORKING ON!

I'LL HANG WITH YOU TILL YOUR JEEP IS LIKE NEW AGAIN!

KEEP RESPONDING HERE

I WANT YOU TO TEST THE DISTRIBUTOR WITH CONTINUITY

GRAB THE WIRES ON EITHER SIDE OF THE CONNECTOR---PULL (NOT JERK)---THE CONNECTOR SHOULD COME APART (DIGGING AT IT WITH A SCREWDRIVER USUALLY WON'T DO IT)

I HAVE MUCH MORE!----OTHER TESTS!

DO NOT BUY NOTHING TILL WE TALK SOME JUNK.I MAY CAN HELP YOU WITH LOWER COSTS

I'LL BE BACK ON THIS EVENING AFTER 20:30 HRS EASTERN TIME (MUST WORK SO I CAN EAT)

YOUR TURN

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 8:21 PM
JAYBOT

Ok re tested. Key on connector removed from the top of the coil, I get 12.2 volts. Connected to the coil 6.5 volts. During starting its only getting 9.5 volts. Is that normal

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 8:27 PM
JAYBOT

Hi. I jave read a few of your other responses in this forum and you know your stuff. I apreciate your time. I believe the distributor was instaled correctly. I even thought it was 180 out and pulled it and spun it 180. Still no spark past the distributor. Each and every time the coil fires.I checked the firing order, its on point. I got the jeep from my father who bought it about ten years ago. No mods were done by him but he did buy it as a salvaged title. It was belived that it had a blown exaust gasket but turned out to be the head gasket blew out the side. So I had the head done. When putting it back together noticed a very loose rocker arm. Tore it back apart come to find out had a bad cam and lifter. Replaced those along with a timing set and now will not fire. It ran before we took it apart minus the leak from the head gasket. Prior to doing the head and cam and timing I replaced the cap, rotor, wirws and plugs. The coil is not new. But the pick up coil in the distributor is new. It has the 258 motor with the ford ignition system. Like I said before. It started fine prior to the repairs. This morning when I went to test I was getting spark to my plugs for a few cranks. Then tried again and nothing. But the coil still fired.

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 8:58 PM
JAYBOT

Wont let me upload multiple pics from my phone

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 9:04 PM
JAYBOT

Motor

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 9:06 PM
JAYBOT

Coil and distributor

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 9:08 PM
JAYBOT

The problem was prior to that mess of wires coming from the distributor. Those happened while trying to fix this firing problem. Broke the connector to the distributor and broke a wire of of the coil connecter. Replaced the connector to the coil with s factory one

Friday, January 18th, 2013 AT 9:12 PM

I'M SENDING "DAVID AND CHAD" TO GIVE YOU A HAND

LISTEN TO THEM REAL GOOD---ESPECIALLY THE PART ABOUT INSTALLING A DISTRIBUTOR THAT HAS BEEN REMOVED AND THE ENGINE WAS TURNED OVER

CLASS 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a2X9mSSlQY

CLASS 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=FHX1yXVyIMg&feature=endscreen

IF YOU DID NOT MARK THE BODY OF THE DISTRIBUTOR AND THE ENGINE, YOU ARE GONNA NEED A TIMING LIGHT AND THE "EXACT" PROCEDURE IN SETTING THE TIMING (MIGHT HAVE TO DISCONNECT A WIRE OR VACUUM LINE WHILE TIMING)

ONE OF THESE IS VERY HELPFUL FOR DOING IT RIGHT

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU HAVE A 258!

WHAT'S ALL OF THE SPLICING AT THE 'STRIBUTOR?

KEEP ON REPLYING

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 AT 2:49 AM
JAYBOT

Lets say the timing was off, wouldn't I still get spark from the distributor?

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 AT 3:10 AM
JAYBOT

In trying to fix the no spark issue. Replaced the connector at the top of the coil and broke a wire on the connector that goes to the distributor.

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 AT 3:14 AM

YOU DID INSTALL THE TIMING GEARS PERFECTLY?

NO DOUBT THE MARKS WERE LINED UP AS PER PICS YOU LOOKED AT IN A MANUAL. IF THIS STEP IS WRONG. IT WILL NOT DO RIGHT UNLESS YOU GO BACK IN!

YOU SAID IT HAS NOT BUSTED OFF AND RUN AT ALL. AFTER THE TIMING SET?

I GOT MORE TESTING FOR YOU---JUST WANNA STAY ON TOP OF WHAT'S GOING ON----NO NEED IN DOING ALL OF THIS. THEN BACKTRACKING

DO YOU HAVE AN ADVANCE AUTO PARTS IN YOUR REGION?

IS THE 'STRIBUTOR IN BY DAVID AND CHAD STANDARDS?

PICKUP IN DIST. TESTED GOOD. THAT'S GOOD!

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 AT 3:19 AM
JAYBOT

Timing set was installed correctly. I did find tdc and re installed the distributor again so that my rotor starts on number one cylinder. I get power to my coil, I get power to my distributor but no spark coming out of the distributor. I changed the pick up coil inside the distributor thinking that might be the problem. Still no fire out of the distributor.

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 AT 3:35 AM

NOW

I GOTTA SEND YOU AWAY

I NEED ANSWERS TO MY QUESTIONS (LIKE ADVANCE AUTO).....I KNOW YOU DO TOO...BEAR WITH ME!

REMOVE YOUR IGNITION MODULE

THE CORRECT CONNECTOR IS LAYING BESIDE IT.........'CAUSE I PUT IT THERE MYSELF!

TEST THIS PUPPY 5 TO 7 TIMES

IF IT FAILS ONCEYOU NEED ANOTHER ONE

WHEN YOU GET THE NEW ONE........BY GOSH TEST IT TOO!!!!

I REALLY TORE THRU MY WIRING FOR 2 DAYS, WHEN IT STILL WOULD NOT FIRE UP.................I ONLY CRIED WHEN NO ONE WAS LOOKING................... A FRIEND SUGGESTED THAT I GO BACK AND TEST MY NEW............BAD.........MODULE!

THE MODULE YOU GET SHOULD HAVE "BLUE" PLASTIC WHERE THE WIRES COME OUTOTHER COLORS ARE FOR OTHER APPLICATIONS

SINCE I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU ARE----HERE'S PART OF THE '79 WIRE DIAGRAM THAT I SCANNED, PAINSTAKINGLY COLORED IN MICROSOFT PAINT, BLEW UP, AND LAMINATED FOR MY GARAGE WALL IF IT'S TOO LATE TO GO TO THE PARTS STORE--YOU CAN LOOK IT OVER

AS FAR AS SAVING ON PARTS......THIS IS HOW TO DO IT AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS ONLINE---PAY ONLINE---PICK UP AT STORE.............."A124" WORKED TODAY.........SEE MY ANSWER IN THIS LINK

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1998-chevrolet-cavalier-there-constant-drain-on-battery-about-300-ma-now-after/page/5

THAT'LL KNOCK OFF $10 ON AN IGN MODULE

YOU DO HAVE A TIMING LIGHT AND A DWELL/ TACH TO TIME IT ONCE WE GET HIM RUNNING?

YOUR TURN

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 AT 4:24 AM