1979 F-150 steering

ROBMERCER
  • 1979 FORD F-150
When I turn my truck either direction, the wheels stay pointed in that direction until I manually steer it back, then I have to constantly adjust side to side to keep it going straight. I noticed quite a bit of slop at the joint where the center link meets the drag link. Would that cause this problem?
Saturday, July 23rd, 2011 AT 2:49 AM

THE FORD MAN
It sounds as if you might have two concerns in my opinion. First, the steering gearbox has a binding sector shaft that inhibits it from returning to center. The best method of repair is replacement of the assembly unless you have the ability to rebuild it. The second concern of loose steering components is most likely just plain worn out. I suggest replacing all these worn components and align it.
Saturday, July 23rd, 2011 AT 2:59 AM
That's called "memory steer" and is commonly caused by tight king pins. As for the looseness you've identified already, there should be no play in any direction for any of the ball and socket joints including the tie rod ends. Those parts should be replaced before they separate and cause a loss of steering but they won't cause memory steer.
Saturday, July 23rd, 2011 AT 3:22 AM
ROBMERCER
I've been trying to find a kingpin set for my truck, but all the parts stores only show it for a 2-wheel drive, even the LMC Truck catalog. If I can ever find the parts, That's what I'll be trying first. Thank you guys for the help. I really appreciate it.
Saturday, July 23rd, 2011 AT 3:58 AM
That's my fault. 4wd uses ball joints, but they can get tight too. It can be hard to tell which side is the cause unless you disconnect a tie rod end so you can turn each wheel by hand individually. One will likely feel normal and one will require two men and a boy to turn.
Saturday, July 23rd, 2011 AT 4:25 AM
ROBMERCER
Hahaha! Shows how much I know about my own truck! I'll give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again!
Saturday, July 23rd, 2011 AT 4:34 AM