WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY STARTER AND BATTERY?

1979 Chevrolet Silverado

Carlabrown11

June, 4, 2012 AT 10:45 PM

I have a 1979 k10 chevy. When I first got it I had to change the starter and the flywheel because it was the wrong starter for the truck an ate the flywheel to shit. I got a new starter from the parts store. I tried Putin shims on it. I've tryed everything. Now here recently when I tryed turning the key over the nothins happening and the batter cables are plugged in. It's a brand new battery. And it's charged because when I went to plug the cables in. It was shooting sparks at me. Could anyone help me?

hmac300

June, 4, 2012 AT 11:18 PM

Check with a test light at the starter and see if the light is as bright as it is at the battery. You may have a bad cable. There are also fusible links connected to the starter. Alot of times those burn up and truck won't start. They are available at auto parts stores. There are a couple and you should be able to see them, they will have to be reconnected to the wire they are connected to.

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement