MY ENGINE HAS NO SPARK

• Abc1234
  • 1979 Chevrolet Silverado

There are two hot wires not connected. Could they be the problem and where do they go? The engine I'm trying to run is an 86 350 from a full size chevy van. It's got compression fuel going to the carb new plugs and pretty much everything else. The distributor is older but I was told it still functions. There are two wires that I found out today are hot but I don't know what they connect to. The first one comes out of a harness that connects to the distributor cap from somewhere in the cab and the other wire runs up by the alternator where by where you plug in the f and r wire harness near the battery terminal. I'm not sure what the wires hook to.

Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 1:14 AM

• rasmataz

The wire that goes to the dizzy cap is it red or pink color? If so that's the power wire for the primary circuit of the coil

Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 1:22 AM
  • Abc1234

Yeah it's a pink color. I figured the wire was to power the distributor. It plugs into the cap but there's another wire that runs off that.

Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 1:52 AM
  • rasmataz

That's probably the Tach wire

Sunday, February 26th, 2012 AT 1:57 AM