MY ENGINE HAS NO SPARK

1979 Chevrolet Silverado

Abc1234

February, 26, 2012 AT 1:14 AM

There are two hot wires not connected. Could they be the problem and where do they go? The engine I'm trying to run is an 86 350 from a full size chevy van. It's got compression fuel going to the carb new plugs and pretty much everything else. The distributor is older but I was told it still functions. There are two wires that I found out today are hot but I don't know what they connect to. The first one comes out of a harness that connects to the distributor cap from somewhere in the cab and the other wire runs up by the alternator where by where you plug in the f and r wire harness near the battery terminal. I'm not sure what the wires hook to.

February, 26, 2012 AT 1:22 AM

The wire that goes to the dizzy cap is it red or pink color? If so that's the power wire for the primary circuit of the coil

Abc1234

February, 26, 2012 AT 1:52 AM

Yeah it's a pink color. I figured the wire was to power the distributor. It plugs into the cap but there's another wire that runs off that.

February, 26, 2012 AT 1:57 AM

That's probably the Tach wire

Ignition System Test Guide
Ignition Coil System Test Repair - All Cars
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet