1978 Ford F-250 Transmission

ANTHONYWILLIMOTT
  • 1978 FORD F-250
I changed my valve cover gaskets today. 20 miles later, the transmission decided to stop shifting out of first and third. It downshifts just fine. There has been no prior indication of transmission failure. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Wednesday, April 16th, 2014 AT 11:53 PM

KTECH
These two items cant be related, I would check the transmission fluid level. Transmissions tend to be pretty sensitive to incorrect fluid level. Unfortunately you have an old auto trans with a lot of miles on it and if its never been replaced before, just like if you were to only change your oil once in your engines life such is the case with your transmission fluid, It has probably just worn over time from heat and deposits in the old lubricant. Let me know if theres anything else I can help you with
Thursday, April 17th, 2014 AT 6:26 AM
LOOK AROUND TO SEE IF YOU BROKE/ TORE/ PULLED LOOSE A VACUUM LINE.A SURE SIGN MIGHT BE THAT YOUR ENGINE MAY BE REVVING AT HIGHER RPMs

Thursday, April 17th, 2014 AT 6:37 PM
FORGOT TO MENTION A "KINKED" OR "MASHED" VAC LINE

IF YOU HAVE REMOVED "LITTLE VAC FITTINGS" WHEN YOU WORKED ON IT. OR IF YOUR PAL WAS "TINKERING WITH STUFF". THERE ARE "CHECK VALVES" IN SOME VAC SYSTEMS. IT WOULD BE SOOOO EZ TO TURN ONE AROUND BACKWARDS AND IT WOULD "CHECK" IN THE WRONG DIRECTION

I CAN ATTEMPT TO FIND YOU A VACUUM DIAGRAM

I WILL NEED YOUR ENGINE SIZE. AND 49 STATE?

I ALREADY LOOKED IN "MITCHELL I". IT DON'T GO BACK THAT FAR

LEMME KNOW SOMETHING

Sunday, April 20th, 2014 AT 1:33 PM
ANTHONYWILLIMOTT
Thanks for the help! I found a twisted tcm vacuum line behind the air filter. Gave it a twist back, and got vacuum back. She's back on the road. Yet another life lesson learned. Always go back to the location you originally started at lol. Thanks again!
Monday, April 21st, 2014 AT 1:06 AM
YOU CAN STILL BLAME THAT ON YOUR BUDDY! (I WOULD!)

GLAD YOU GOT IT ALL FIXED UP

IF YOUR LINES ARE GETTING SQUISHY. MIGHT BE TIME TO INSTALL SOME NEW ONES. SOMETIMES THEY'LL GET SO SQUISHY THAT THEY WILL SUCK THEMSELVES FLAT, AND YOU KNOW---THAT AIN'T GOOD!

Monday, April 21st, 2014 AT 5:11 PM