Starting problem

SHAD
  • 1978 FORD F-150
How would i, step by step, hand crank a 351 cleveland v8?
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 12:15 AM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Ok, not quite sure what you mean.

Are you talking about getting it started?

What exactly is your starting problem?

.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 12:20 AM
SHAD
Well when ever I try to start the truck, I can see the fan move a couple centimeters and then it wont move again. When it first broke down, it was making a loud clicking noise. We shut it off and left it for a few days. We went to start it again and it wont even turn over. Like I said, the fan moves a few centimeters and then it wont move any further than that.
Tuesday, January 4th, 2011 AT 11:53 PM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Hi Shad,

Sorry for delay in getting back to you.

Ok, is the Battery Fully Charged?

Have you tried to jump start it?

Give this a try either while jump starting or make sure battery is fully charged take it to your local parts store for testing.

Then on the fender near the battery is a Starter Relay Switch. Take an insulated screw driver and touch it across the 2 larger terminals. If turns over freely the replace it. NAPA Part Number is ST404.

.
Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 2:43 AM
CRAIGSS1013
Can you put a socket and breaker bar on the crank bolt located inside the harmonic balancer and turn motor over full turn or does it only move back and forth a pinch? I would like to say a 1978 ford running with clattering noise, shut down now wont crank froze up ( TIMING CHAIN )! LET ME KNOW
Friday, January 7th, 2011 AT 5:24 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Yes you should be able to rotate engine 360 degrees. If cannot then most likely engine is siezed.

.
Saturday, January 8th, 2011 AT 12:45 AM