1977 Chevrolet El Camino front end shaking

AAZAVALA83
  • 1977 CHEVROLET EL CAMINO
About 4 months ago I had new tire and a alignment completed. I got the car back, and I dont drive it much. So when I finally went 60 mph, I noticed a shaking. I did some investigating and noticed I needed new upper bushing. I took the car in, had ball joints, tire rods, upper bushings, and some other bushings replaces. Also the front end was aligned again due to the work. I still get the shaking. And its not like a vibration, its a shake, like the car wants to fall apart. I thought maybe the drive line. So I drove the car to the trouble speed, put it in neutral, and it still shook. What do you think it is?
Thursday, July 16th, 2015 AT 4:28 PM

CAN YOU TELL IF IT ORIGINATES IN THE FRONT OR IN THE BACK?

SWAPPING THE FRONT TIRES TO THE BACK, BACK TO FRONT MIGHT DEFINE WHETHER IT'S A TIRE ISSUE OR NOT.

TO MAKE THAT TEST EVEN BETTER, JUST DO IT ON ONE SIDE, THEN DRIVE IT. THEN DO THE OTHER SIDE. THIS MIGHT NARROW DOWN WHICH WHEEL OR WHEELS ARE THE PROBLEM CHILDREN.

NUTHER POSSIBILITY ON THE SAME LINES IS

YOU DON'T DRIVE IT MUCH

MAYBE THE TREAD(S) HAS FORMED IT'S OWN SORTA OR MAYBE PERMANENT "SQUOOSHED" SHAPE FROM SITTING IN THE SAME PLACE. IN OTHER WORDS, MAYBE THE TIRE(S) IS OUT OF ROUND FROM JUST SITTING

OF COURSE YOU HAVE BEEN HIT WITH THE "WHEEL WEIGHT" GONE THEORY, OR YOU AIN'T CHECKED THE TIRE PRESSURE.

WITH THE FRONT TO REAR TO FRONT SWAPPAGE, IF THERE IS ANY CHANGE IN THE SEVERITY OF THE VIBRATION, WE MIGHT BE BARKING UP THE RIGHT TREE!

BACK IN THE 80s IT WOULD BE REAL SIMPLE TO ASK YOUR NEIGHBOR FRED, IF YOU COULD SWAP WHEELS WITH HIS CHEVY FOR A TEST RUN AROUND THE BLOCK. IT MAY BE A LITTLE HARDER TO FIND A COMPARABLE MATCH NOW, BUT, WHERE THERE'S A WILL THERE'S A WAY!

DON'T FEEL BAD, MAYBE 10 YEARS AGO, I BOUGHT SOME BRAND NEW STILL IN THE WRAPPER 700 X 16 NDT MILITARY TIRES FROM A FELLER. 5 FOR THE '46 JEEP, 2 FOR MY M-416 TRAILER. THEY WERE SO PERTTY! I HAD TO HAVE 'EM, $50 A POP!

BEINGS THEY WERE FROM 1969, I GOT 2 OIL CHANGES (2000 MILE INTERVALS), AND WITH SWAPPING THEM ALL TO THE JEEP DURING THIS TIME PERIOD. I HAD 7 NEARLY SLICK, DRY ROTTED TIRES! MY BUDDY SAID HE COULD ALMOST SEE ME LEAVING RUBBER TRACKS WHEN I DROVE DOWN THE ROAD!

LET US KNOW WHAT YOU GET ALL FIGGERED OUT!

Thursday, July 16th, 2015 AT 5:39 PM