1975 F-150

JIMSTUFF
  • 1975 FORD F-150
360 engine automatic trans. Stalls when in gear and hesitates and back fires when given gas. Changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Just put a replacement trans. Will not idle as well.
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 12:00 AM

Fuel filter?

Vacuum Leaks?

Carb accelerator pump?

Tune Carb?

Maybe I can help. Imma Jeep CJ guy, Dad has a '76 F-150 now with a 351 W.

The Medic
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 12:22 AM
JIMSTUFF
Looked for vacuum leak. Took the EGR off and tightened it down and that seemed to have helped. This a friends truck I'm trying to save. It sounds like it is missing as well. Checked the vacuum hoses. Maybe carb is bad?
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 1:57 AM
Possible carb, was it doing OK recently?

How bout vacuum leak at new tranny?

DO THIS ONLY OUTSIDE, AWAY FROM THE HOUSE!--Keep a small blanket handy--and a FIRE EXTINGUISHER REAL HANDY, for worst case!

Spray Vacuum lines and anything using vacuum. Listen for engine to surge (run smoother or better)---heater controls inside use vacuum too (listen to them, don't spray 'em!). Extra sucked into the carb throat will Deceive you!

Maybe EGR stuck? Take off completely and see where the 2 opening mix?--Maybe Try to Temporarily Block them off separately----Example: Without introducing CRAP into the Intake part, maybe Pound some Aluminum foil in there. To keep them from mixing and also keep exhaust from coming out---USE YOUR IMAGINATION!See if it runs better. If it does replace the EGR.

Showing you a Jeep pic, this is how to activate the EGR with no vacuum, it also makes it run real rough, as if it were stuck openYou might be able to "Needle-nose Plier" the tip end (closest to the manifold) and force it shut, without tearing up the diaphragm. On our 6 cylinder Jeeps, installing headers, we must completely eliminate the EGR---It is not a "Have To" unless they check emissions in your area. On the Jeeps, we saw off the diaphragm, insure the pin is fully closed (tap it in well), then weld it in place. The "Welded Body" is still removable, and a new EGR could still be installed if Need-be

Sorry, I do not have a pic of one welded shut, I installed a Offy 4 barrel intake, and a Holley 390 Carb, ON MY 258 6 Cylinder, when I put my New headers on---It was not designed for a EGR. My old set-up is at my Mom and Dad's house

Keep me informed, I hope things are going well!

The Medic
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 2:37 AM
JIMSTUFF
Ok the vacuum hose thAT attaches to the tranny. The shift modulater? How about why it stalls.
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 2:44 AM
I guess I got carried away--Did I mention, I know I forgot, USE STARTER FLUID to look for the leaks!

Test any Vac Lines!

Will it move, pushing it in gear-neutral ETC?

Does it only stall in GEAR? Or just giving it gas? (Wondering if tranny or torque converter are locking up?

If you spray bottle fuel into the carb, while throttling, will it continue to climb in RPMs. May have to play with it.

No word on fuel filter yet!

The Medic
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 3:25 AM
Points or Electronic Ignition?

Have you messed with the timing?

The Medic
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 3:33 AM
Once again lost in La-La land---You have Manual tranny, does it maybe lockup and cause your stall? Or is stall when throttling in neutral?
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 3:57 AM
JIMSTUFF
Auto trans 2b carb I think the timing is good. It doesnt lockup because it wants to go forward right away so step on brake and then it dies, you have to give it gas and brake at the same time in order fo it to not stall. It will hesitate and backfire a little and then shoot forward
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 6:55 AM
Info at top must be wrong!

How about you and an "Innocent Party" Re-check your firing order, tracing each wire from beginning to end. Insure snapped in place. May be just a dumb mistake

Did you check your plug gaps, I've seen 'em mashed onto the electrode, straight out of the box.

Does it have electronic ignition or points?

Last time it ran right?

Once again, Fuel Filter?

The Medic
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 4:06 PM
JIMSTUFF
That was my next thought. Will check firing order. And he plugs are gaped right.
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2011 AT 4:16 PM
I WILL CONTINUE TO SLING STUFF OUT. JUST KEEP ON RESPONDING, I WAS REALLY HOPING YOU WOULDA COME BACK ALREADY WITH SOME GOOD NEWS. I KINDA LOOK AT THIS LIKE A SOAP OPERA, MY WIFE ASKS WHATS GOING ON WITH DIFFERENT QUESTIONS THAT SHE WALKS BY AND READS. YOURS WAS JUST ASKED ABOUT, SO TO KEEP HER INFORMED, I HAD TO REPLY TO YOU AND ASK. HOW'S MR. TRUCK A DOIN'? THE MEDIC
Sunday, March 6th, 2011 AT 6:40 AM
JIMSTUFF
OK SORRY FOR NOT GETTING BACK TO YOU. I WAS HELPING A FRIEND AND I'M BACK IN aLASKA. ANYWAY WE COULD NOT FIND A v LEAK.. I think the carb is shot. It sat for years in eastern oregon. Only started a couple time a year for hunting. So the repiar is alocated to the next shade mechanic. I'll keep you informrd if you like. Thanks
Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 9:37 PM
You can get a Reasonably Priced Rebuilt Carb at Autozone or Advance Auto. Just do not turn yours in as a Core, till you are DONE and running! Some bracket or something will be needed off of the old one, It will be Gone, if you turn it in at purchase! I have never had a problem with one of theirs. Install and a little "Tweaking" is all it should need. I may can help you there also, if you want. I'm here forever. Pics of your projects, give a feeling of actually helping on something "Tangible"!--Your Turn--The Medic
Friday, March 18th, 2011 AT 12:54 AM