CHEVY TEMP GAUGE

1974 Chevrolet Truck

Jgaythwaite

June, 13, 2011 AT 4:54 PM

I have a 1974 stepside chevy I just bought with a fresh rebuild on a 350, and my temp gauge isn't working, any ideas on how to troubleshoot the issues,

Temp Gauge Issues

Big Problem Maybe

1 IMAGE

June, 13, 2011 AT 5:03 PM

Take the wire connector loose from the temp sending unit on the engine. Key on, any voltage on that wire? Usually the sending unit controls resistance to ground. If you touch that one wire to ground, key on, the gage should move, don't peg it or use a resistor.

I haven't found a wiring diagram on that, yet. Not sure of sending unit location?

Jgaythwaite

June, 13, 2011 AT 5:15 PM

If the gauge does move, what would need replaced? The sending unit? And if it doesn't move would the gauge need replaced?

hmac300

June, 13, 2011 AT 11:48 PM

See if you have a flashing light at the sender. Use a test light for this. If you do then your sender isn't correct or it has silicone on the threads and not letting it complete the circuit.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230